• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 name strips again

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Guys,

Could someone post close-up pics of repros and originals A-2 leather name tags.

Also the proper location of these - ie - the distance from the edge of the wind flap and how high above the top of the pocket flap.

Reason I ask is that I just received one from Shaul Dover - will put pics in the other thread tomorrow - and I'm going to put it on the A-2 my wife gave me for my 60th birthday a few years ago.

Would like to have some pics to show the seamstress how they were done.

Thanks,

Bill French

SuinBruin

I just received one from Garcia Aviation today. I now have tags from 2 eBay sellers, US Authentic, Aero, and Garcia, and I'll be posting photos as soon as I can get them up.

From what little I know, the Aero tags appear to be the closest to the originals.

Longranger

Hi Bill,
I have one from Aero on my Doniger. Good quality.
Was a bit light so made it darker with shoe polish.
P5070008.jpg

bfrench

Administrator
Longranger said:
Hi Bill,
I have one from Aero on my Doniger. Good quality.
Was a bit light so made it darker with shoe polish.

Thanks, LR,

That's just the kind of pic to take to the seamstress - shows exactly the way it should be sewn.

Bill French

I have a different question about name tags that doesn't really seem to rate starting a new thread. How are names that have O, Mc, or de handled? For example, would the name McKay be lettered as MC KAY, or run together as MCKAY? Since there seem to be no lower case letters these are the two possibilities I can think of. Has anyone seen a few originals with such names? Any standards?

T-Bolt

I don't have any objective information....but I think the letters would run together, like....... MCKAY.

Ted

EMBLEMHUNTER

In the years that I have studied the various forms of leather unit patches and name strips, I have noticed that there are a lot of "variations", the size(width and Height) and the lettering both.

There are those that you can tell were obviously hand made ,and then those that were stamped by lettering machine, if you have access to good books showing AAF strips you'll see that they do vary quite a bit in style.

I have seen all capital letters usually but I have also seen like this example "McQuary" or "Mc Quary" and then "MCQUARY" and "MC QUARY"

So I really think it depends on how you would want your strip done, unless there was an "actual" rule/regualtion as to the size/lettering etc, does anyone know if there was ??????