• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-1 MONARCH

Maverickson

Hi All,

It gives me great pleasure to present this latest reproduction to the Forum members. Initially, I was inspired to make a copy of my grand father's late 1920s suede A-1. Then with a little help from the Silver Surfer and by using one of his original 1930s jackets I was able to combine the two styles. That jacket seen below is what resulted.

I've been interested in putting this jacket together for some time. In part I suppose that it was my family connection that was the catalyst for this project. As I have many period photos of my grand father wearing a like jacket.

In keeping with the Monarch make, with few exceptions, this jacket was done by me using French seams when ever and where possible. In the past, I have seen late 1920s and early 1930s Monarch jackets done with those seams connecting the sleeves to the body of the jacket. Although tempted, I chose not to do them in this case.

To give it that extra touch of authenticity I attached period buttons made by COLT Firearms. Then backed them with bone. Those buttons brought it all home for me.

I'm pleased with the results.

Cheers, Dave

bseal

I am pleased with your result as well. Looking forward to Kelso's reproduction of your reproduction. JK.

Peter Graham

bseal said:
I am pleased with your result as well. Looking forward to Kelso's reproduction of your reproduction. JK.

:lol:. Dave, that is one beautiful jacket. Your workmanship is stunning. You should be very proud of yourself.

Maverickson

STEVE S. said:
very nice! you need to post a closeup of those buttons. details man, details!! :lol:

Hi Steve,

Okay! Those Colt Firearms made buttons are super cool. Come to find out all the different styles are named after US Colleges & Universities.

Here is the style I used on this jacket. AKA AMHERST.

I had seen an original late 20s early 30s jacket using those same Amherst buttons. Suppose that Colt buttons are a spin off from their pistol grips.

Cheers, Dave

Silver Surfer

show off hahahah. ya dun gud, real gud. it was a pleasure to help, when i could. and, the end result far exceeded my expectations.

chamboid

That's a lovely looking jacket, really period correct with lovely styling. Do you have any images of the jacket you built this design from would live to see.

And did I miss it on the post, but what's the hide used?

Maverickson

chamboid said:
That's a lovely looking jacket, really period correct with lovely styling. Do you have any images of the jacket you built this design from would live to see.

And did I miss it on the post, but what's the hide used?

Hi,

That is goat hide and it was special ordered from France.

The jacket's inspiration was a combination. One of those jackets was my grandfather's. The earliest photos I have of him wearing the jacket dates 1929 and the latest was in 1934. This following image was taken in 1934.

As seen here and in other pictures I have of him wearing that jacket he liked to tuck those pocket flaps into those inset pockets.

The prototype for that same jacket is seen here.

To construct that prototype I used a Monarch body out of canvas. Although built as a prototype it was made well enough & I use it.

The other jacket in the mix & belonging to the Silver Surfer is seen next.

What resulted I found to be extremely comfortable. In part, I suppose due to that superb hide which lends it self nicely to this style jacket.

Cheers, Dave

Skyhawk

Great work there! and an excellent design too. I really like the vintage styling. Looks like a time capsule piece from the 1930's.

handymike

Beautifully done!
I like the mash-up, and those buttons- wow.
The goat was a great choice, and I think it would also look fantastic in the rough out suede.
Will you be selling these?