• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'64 Ralph Edwards named,USS Saratoga and VF-103 patches

Curahee

I "won" this little gem last week on the bay, and I must say it's rare to see these patched jackets so I couldn't pass this one up anyway I will let the photo's do the talking (mind you these are the e-bay photo's but the tracking system says it's very soon now so I will add a few of my own soon)

AUCTION_003_1.jpg
AUCTION_004_1.jpg

AUCTION_011_1.jpg
AUCTION_012_1.jpg

AUCTION_013_1.jpg
AUCTION_014_1.jpg

wheat1479

My father served on the Saratoga back in the early 60s.He was a pilot.I used to sneak his jacket from his closet and wear it to high school in the later 60s.His eyesight got to where he couldnt fly anymore and they assigned him to the Pentagon.We lived in Va. Beach and he was at Little Creek in Norfolk,Va.Later we moved to Arlington and then Falls Church,Va.That jacket brought back memories.I dont think he had any patches on it though..

Curahee

Does anyone know a simple and fast way to find info about the pilot ? I tried it a couple of times with other jackets but it's just so damn hard to find any usefull information out there.

Google is fine in certain circumstances like with the HML-367 G-1 of USMC Lt. Mike Justus I bought last year in Japan (the USMC keeps records and AND they keep the memory of their brothers alive check out Pop-A-Smoke a great website) but in most cases it's no use.

Peter Graham

US Navy records are hard to access. I've tried. They keep things very much in the family. PM Maverickson for advice. He's the man to talk to. Great jacket with nice subtle patches. Good catch.

Curahee

That's right, it symbolizes the setting sun. You can find the same colours and stripes on this famous patch

tonkingulf.jpg