• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s Sears Hercules Half-belt

Hawkeye

My interest in half-belts was inspired by pics of James excellent Aero. After looking the last few weeks, I stumbled upon this one in Toronto just today, made of front quarter horsehide, with a chocolate bar style conmar zip. The size tag is inside the sleeve strangely enough, tagged 48. The only issue is the pictured gouges in the horsehide on the back, they dont seem to be in any danger of enlarging but I would like to do something about them. They dont go all the way through the leather, maybe I can close them up with something? I've heard mention of something called shoe goo, would that help? Anyways, heres the pics, this is my first civilian styled vintage leather jacket.

halfbelt021.jpg

halfbelt011.jpg

halfbelt019.jpg

halfbelt018.jpg

halfbelt008.jpg

halfbelt009.jpg

halfbelt006.jpg

Happy Hooligan

that is one awesome jacket. I think Hercules and Monkey wards made the best ones of the era...

But that jacket looks way too big for you, which is hard to do with a vintage jacket, but it does. Is it just the pictures or do you agree...?

Hawkeye

It is a big jacket, and a couple of the pictures (esp the one from behind) make it look huge. But in person the fit is actually quite nice, though the shoulders are broader than something I'd normally wear. But you take what you can find right? Im pretty happy with it for my first half-belt. I've just purchased a new tub of pecards and some barge cement to deal with that tear, I'd like to darken it up a bit and give it a nice patina and shine.

Happy Hooligan

Hawkeye said:
It is a big jacket, and a couple of the pictures (esp the one from behind) make it look huge. But in person the fit is actually quite nice, though the shoulders are broader than something I'd normally wear. But you take what you can find right? Im pretty happy with it for my first half-belt. I've just purchased a new tub of pecards and some barge cement to deal with that tear, I'd like to darken it up a bit and give it a nice patina and shine.

I know what you mean about taking anything you can find especially if don't wear a 38 or 40... anything bigger you squeeze into it or drape it on...

I pecards my half belt when I got it and it did wonders... it lost a lot of it's 60+ years of use look though which is nice and not nice...

I'd enjoy it for now, but keep my eyes open for a slightly smaller one... they're very few and far between but they do exist...

Post some post-pecard pics too... are you using the antique pecards?

Tommer45

Miles_Archer said:
WAAAYYYY too big dude.

I'm not sure what look you're going for specifically but I think the fit looks great. It looks comfortable and great for an everyday wearer. The Pecards really brought the jacket back to life.. looks great man.

Tommer

A

Anonymous

Re the Pecards if you are having trouble finding it and do not want to buy it off ebay + cost of shipping .You can get at your local Harley dealership its relabelled leather dressing in the 6oz tub cost $5.95 .I called pecards and they confirmed they made it for Harley for there boutique motorcycle clothing outlets in the dealerships. Thought it might help .

Jeff

Tommer45

DUBOWA2 said:
Re the Pecards if you are having trouble finding it  and do not want to buy it off ebay + cost of shipping .You can get at your local Harley dealership its relabelled leather dressing in the 6oz tub cost $5.95 .I called pecards and they confirmed they made it for Harley for there boutique motorcycle clothing outlets in the dealerships. Thought it might help .Jeff

Oh great!  Just putting the H-D logo on it will probably give it reliability issues!!  :lol:

Tommer(Victory Rider :cool: )

Who

I think teh size is fine. Personal taste but I don't like figure hugging jackets all that much - but there are always those who will argue that they are meant to be snug. There are no rules, only choices...