• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1944-1945 pattern reproduction Irvin

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Finally finished jacket #5!

I'm really happy with how it's turned out, and pleased with the multipanel pattern. Although it uses up smaller pieces of sheepskin than earlier patterns, there's a lot more work involved. Great fun though!

I'm still waiting on new sheepskins, which is a pain. I have several orders in the book for when I get it though, so will hopefully be able to get stuck into those soon.

This jacket is a size 44, and is for sale if anyone is interested (£650). I can get some measurements up later if that helps.

Anyway, here are a few photos - I hope you like them.

Jacket5front1.jpg

Jacket5front3.jpg

Jacket5front2.jpg

Jacket5front4.jpg

Jacket5back1.jpg

Jacket5back2.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

DiamondDave

Jon,

That is the brilliant... just wish Oklahoma EVER got cool enough for the Irvin!!

On a side note, I see that your stitching is improving exponentially...not that is was bad
to start with... it really is fun
to look at our pics from before and after and see where we were and how far we have
come, huh?

Ciao for now,
DD

jonnyboy

Thanks guys,

Dave - I know what you mean regarding stitching. At first it seemed nearly impossible, and I thought I'd never get the hang of it. Now after a few jackets, it seems so much easier. I really enjoyed making this jacket, as it felt like I didn't have to fight with the machine.

I've been wearing test jacket #1 a lot, to see how it wears over time. I love it, but I may redo some of the stitching in a couple of places. No one else seems to notice the wonky bits, but I do. Still, that's also the case with many original Irvins!

Cheers,

Jon

philip.ed

Probably the best Irvin repro I have ever seen. That sure is pretty special. Excellent work, Jon :)

Tim P

I have long understood the maxim repetition is the mother of skill. Here is living proof of that.

Smithy

Like Søren I'm an early 2 panel fan but that is beautiful. As I posted in your other thread, I am seriously tempted by your repros.

Now you just have to make repros of the black fleece Irvins ;)

Andrew

Black fleece, that's an idea. Great work Jon, you certainly appear to be improving. love the look of the front with the diagonal- that would look great on the back too. I'm still hoping to get that Clone we discussed next year.

Roughwear

I think Jon's workmanship is superior than that of most people who made late war jackets. He has done an excellent job and the jacket is a very attractive design in my opinion.

Cliff

That really is lovely. Like one or two others I am not the biggest fan of multi paneled Irvins but that really looks the business. Imagine what that will look like once it gets that worn in look. Very well done. I am very envious of your skills.
Cheers Cliff

jonnyboy

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

Black fleece option is definitely something I'd be interested in offering in the future, even if it's just a small run. I'm also hoping to get a Coastal Command pattern sorted in the new year, and offer that as a standard product option. Does anyone know what type of paint was used on the yellow collar?

Just need to get the new sheepskins and then I'm in production! I have 10 orders so far, but I'm reluctant to actually take anyone's money for orders until I know that the new sheepskins are spot on. I'll hopefully have some news on that soon.

Cheers,

Jon

philip.ed

jonnyboy said:
Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

Black fleece option is definitely something I'd be interested in offering in the future, even if it's just a small run. I'm also hoping to get a Coastal Command pattern sorted in the new year, and offer that as a standard product option. Does anyone know what type of paint was used on the yellow collar?

Just need to get the new sheepskins and then I'm in production! I have 10 orders so far, but I'm reluctant to actually take anyone's money for orders until I know that the new sheepskins are spot on. I'll hopefully have some news on that soon.

Cheers,

Jon

Excellent news, Jon.
Regarding the paint, I have an idea that it was aircraft dope, but I'm not 100% sure on this. If it is aircraft dope, then I'm not sure how you would go about replicating it... (I'd be extremely interested to know how you do decide to mimic it, as I have always though of having a repro 1932 pattern mae west doped yellow in the future).

rikbb

As I posted in another thread of yours, I'm really interested in the darker fleece, please tell me if it would be an option.
I'd let go my ELC to have a more custom irvin!