• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1930's German bike jacket

John Lever

Here in America Radjacke translates to "John's Badass Jacket". Very nice
That's just what I hoped when I named it !
It's exactly the same leather as the first one. Vintage hh is fqhh.

I think I may be falling out of love with sheepskin. Could be horse from now on...

zoomer

John, this Jacke is beyond Rad. It is freaking phenomenal.

Now you need one of these. BMW R2. Set a world speed record of 153mph in 1936.
1974114459_08c5fb8861.jpg

I guess you can be trusted with the front wheel...
1849587859_83c9cececa.jpg
cv_bhpo.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
That's brilliant, John ... small changes, BIG difference.

Now it has the look.

And although Google Translate declined, Babel Fish translated Radjacke as Wheel Jacket ..... perfect.

les_garten

zoomer said:
John, this Jacke is beyond Rad. It is freaking phenomenal.

Now you need one of these. BMW R2. Set a world speed record of 153mph in 1936.
1974114459_08c5fb8861.jpg

I guess you can be trusted with the front wheel...
1849587859_83c9cececa.jpg
cv_bhpo.jpg

That R2 is Sweeeett!! Man, 153 mph!! Un believe able!!

zoomer

Of course, that was the supercharged competition model. The production R2 put out 8 hp and could do about 60mph (100kph).

It was a very popular bike in prewar Germany, where its small engine meant it didn't even need a license. But it's very rare today. All were confiscated for the war effort as courier bikes and most ridden right into the scrap heap.

Tommer45

John Lever said:
It's exactly the same leather as the first one. Vintage hh is fqhh.

I didn't realize the first jacket was also made with the vintage stuff.

Again, really nice jacket.

Tommer

Falcon_52

Hi John...I forgot to ask - are the cuffs just leather with buttons or is there a hidden wool knit inside the sleeve underneath the cuffs?

Noel

John Lever

No just leather. Thinking of getting one ? I know you have impeccable taste. If you do, ask for a second lower waste belt so it can be tightened right up. The Vintage fqhh is amazing [ thanks Van]
The B-1 should be brilliant.

MikeyB-17

Outstanding jacket, John. Must be very cool to get to name it. You must be pleased with it, you're actually smiling in one of those photos! :D

John Lever

Thanks for that. Yes I do smile sometimes, but not very often !
As others have suggested[Hats], the design may lend itself to a softer but not necessarily thinner hide. John's Cape comes to mind here.
I find that I am wearing this jacket every time I go out particularly If I am driving as the short cut means it's comfortable to wear while seated.
A friend asked me ' when are you getting the other half ?'
Now I know it's the right length !

mazeta

That jacket looks awesome on you! Good fit.
John Lever said:
It's back !
A completely new jacket that is 3 inches [75 mm] shorter and 2 inches [ 50 mm]tighter around the waist. I also followed Dave's suggestion to take 1 inch [25 mm ] off the sleeves. The alpaca lining is dark chocolate brown, the sleeves are lined with purple satin.
The leather is front quarter Vintage brown horse hide. Buttons are grey brown horn.
I am so pleased now as it's a perfect fit and achieves the exact look I was after. Aero are going to produce this jacket and asked me to name it. So I have called it Radjacke, a shortened version of motorradjacke. I quite like Rad as it's modern sounding and Jack can also be a nick name for John as well as German [jacke]for jacket.
I included the blurred front shot because it gives the truest representation of colour.
otobuc
IMGP2510.jpg

IMGP2513.jpg

IMGP2514.jpg

IMGP2534.jpg

IMGP2525.jpg

IMGP2536.jpg

IMGP2538.jpg

IMGP2539.jpg

IMGP2544.jpg

IMGP2540.jpg

IMGP2530.jpg

IMGP2535.jpg

Aero have been amazing throughout this process. In these days of hardship it says a great deal about a company that gives this level of service and product quality.
A big thanks to Amanda, Will and Moira Johnstone who made the jacket.

John Lever

asiamiles said:
Congrats John. You are now officially a jacket designer for Aero. What will your next creation be?
Well...
They are revamping the Irvin with a better arm shape from a pattern I sent to them, and I also hope they will make a B-1 from Vintage hh for me.
There's another 30's jacket from the USA that I like. Button front , with front patch pockets with button flaps -

A1_Style_Front.jpg

The collar is similar to an A-1. Recognise the cuffs ?