• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1920's - 1930's Plastic Buttons - Huge Lot Found

Skyhawk

I have been on the hunt for standard dark brown coat buttons made from primitive plastic for over 10 years.
A little background:
There were only a few types of plastics around in the mid 1920's to the 1930's period.
  • Celluloid
  • Bakelite
  • Lucite
  • Casein​
Celluloid was the first plastic, being invented in the mid 1800's. It had issues when exposed to water. Casein is the most likely one used for the early flight jackets. It was developed in the early 1900's and became widely used by the time the 37J1, A-1, and a lot of civy flight jackets were designed in the mid 1920's. It did not have the problems celluloid had with water and was widely advertised at "Washable". Bakelite followed during the 1930's and was also widely used during the 1930's and 1940's. A bit late for the earliest flight jackets.

A-1 jackets did have some manufacturers using Horn buttons on the originals, like Gordon & Ferguson. Others used plastic though. The 37J1 jackets all had plastic buttons. There was one example with corozo nut buttons but literally all others I have seen had plastic. Most likely casein.
I have been able to find small amounts here and there of casein buttons over the years. This recent purchase was for a huge lot. And finally in a dark brown and in the style and size I have been searching for:
37J1 button close up:
Pocket-4.jpg

IMG_20221103_100401300.jpg

IMG_20221103_100457542_HDR.jpg

The discovery of these buttons was a lucky thing. The fabric supply store I got them from bought these buttons 30 years ago from an apparel supply company in NY, that was going out of business. They did not know they were casein. They were selling them as plastic. When I inquired about them, they told me the story and showed me the box. They are from Portugal. Made by a company that used to make casein buttons. I bought some and tested them. When I determined that they were casein, I bought out all the supplies they had. Now I have a ton in stock to put on the 37J1 jackets.

Horn buttons were period correct but not historically accurate. Now we have both the accuracy and the correct materials for our buttons. Add that to the new custom wool knits and the stitching and construction insights from the recently obtained Military Specs, and we will have a 37J1 that is as close as you can get to an original issued jacket.

Attachments

• IMG_20221103_100457542_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221103_100457542_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83

JonnyCrow

I have been on the hunt for standard dark brown coat buttons made from primitive plastic for over 10 years.
A little background:
There were only a few types of plastics around in the mid 1920's to the 1930's period.
  • Celluloid
  • Bakelite
  • Lucite
  • Casein​
Celluloid was the first plastic, being invented in the mid 1800's. It had issues when exposed to water. Casein is the most likely one used for the early flight jackets. It was developed in the early 1900's and became widely used by the time the 37J1, A-1, and a lot of civy flight jackets were designed in the mid 1920's. It did not have the problems celluloid had with water and was widely advertised at "Washable". Bakelite followed during the 1930's and was also widely used during the 1930's and 1940's. A bit late for the earliest flight jackets.

A-1 jackets did have some manufacturers using Horn buttons on the originals, like Gordon & Ferguson. Others used plastic though. The 37J1 jackets all had plastic buttons. There was one example with corozo nut buttons but literally all others I have seen had plastic. Most likely casein.
I have been able to find small amounts here and there of casein buttons over the years. This recent purchase was for a huge lot. And finally in a dark brown and in the style and size I have been searching for:
37J1 button close up:
View attachment 85601
View attachment 85599

View attachment 85600

The discovery of these buttons was a lucky thing. The fabric supply store I got them from bought these buttons 30 years ago from an apparel supply company in NY, that was going out of business. They did not know they were casein. They were selling them as plastic. When I inquired about them, they told me the story and showed me the box. They are from Portugal. Made by a company that used to make casein buttons. I bought some and tested them. When I determined that they were casein, I bought out all the supplies they had. Now I have a ton in stock to put on the 37J1 jackets.

Horn buttons were period correct but not historically accurate. Now we have both the accuracy and the correct materials for our buttons. Add that to the new custom wool knits and the stitching and construction insights from the recently obtained Military Specs, and we will have a 37J1 that is as close as you can get to an original issued jacket.
Nice find Jay I also do the same, if I see a batch of buttons I used to buy them, once had a unused but opened box of German blue grey pebbled buttons and a box of sewing threads various colours 1930's from France, my wife thinks I'm nuts sometimes I guess haha but there's always a use for something:D