• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

14th Air Force Patch

shedonwanna

Here is a 14th Air Force/23rd Fighter Group displayed at the Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia followed by some images of Chennault's A-2(Smithsonian Air&Space) and original 14th AF artwork. The description on the artwork is a bit blury but shows how original hand painted art showed up on Chennault's jacket and the issued design was turned around for the left shoulder patch.
23rdfg_hazy.jpg

14thaf_chennault_a2_museum.jpg

14thaf_chennault_museum.jpg

14thaf_orig_art.jpg

a2jacketpatches

I make them for wear on the right sleeve of the A2 Jacket as in the original design facing right, many period examples of this. I've had comments in the past stating all kinds of different reasons, but I believe in these cases it was for that exact reason, so the tiger would be facing forward if on the right sleeve of the wearer. You see theater made patches bouncing back and forth on lots of period examples so I'm not sure anyone was aware or the original facing right and just went by whatever reference was available or memory. Much appreciated straightening this out with a photo of the original design, saving to my files and I'll use the info in future listings of 14th chest and shoulder patches.
14ths001.jpg