• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

14AF - AVG - Flying Tigers

Silver Surfer

agreed, a lot of stuff i havent seen as well. but most interesting is the mock up lay out for the cacw patch and insignia. that right there is worth the price of admission.

a2jacketpatches

Yes Sir V, saved that one myself. Think I gotta revise the patch I did years ago and haven't done since, this one's an eyeball killer.

Silver Surfer

think anyone out there that can make a clone of that design stitched on cloth? ive seen a coupla repros, and brother are they crappy. the detailing is always compromised. yup,, the home of the devil...in the details.

a2jacketpatches

You know it. Not sure I would even tackle that job or if anyone would be prepared to pay for it. But I am considering a new revised multi-piece leather version considering I haven't done one of these in about half a decade.

Silver Surfer

wow! that patch on the flikr site is flat out beautiful. original? if not, its by far the nicest repro ive seen to date. i am afraid that the labor, and knowledge to make this patch, as seen, just aint available...at least not that i know of. damn, that patch is nice.

a2jacketpatches

Without a shot of the back I can't be sure if a repop or not. And you're right V, the knowledge and labor is just not available for a price anyone is willing to pay. however, it is on my list for when my Wife and I make it to Thailand, I've already researched some hand embroiderers there but I want to handle it myself. Me, wouldn't even touch it for 400-

Silver Surfer

ahhhh, hand embroiderers in thailand. years ago i tried to get a guy in china to make some embroidered patches, but due to communications, or lack there of, nothing ever came of it. the aspect of personal, hands on working with hand embroiderers in thailand sounds promising. if successful, it could lead to a nice business venture. keep us updated, sean.

CBI

the patch is listed as a repro on this young lady's flickr account. If you look at her albums, looks a like a relative, grandfather was a WW2 pilot in the CACW.

2BM2K

Silver Surfer said:
wonder where the hell she got it from. its certainly not like any repro i have seen.

The photo of the patch is in her album "My Projects" along with other craftwork. Seems to imply
that she made it herself. A labour of love?

TankBuster

She's pretty talented if that's the case. I know there is a seller of repro patches that has embroidered patches made in Thailand. They aren't bad, but wouldn't fool most guys that know patches.

a2jacketpatches

TankBuster said:
She's pretty talented if that's the case. I know there is a seller of repro patches that has embroidered patches made in Thailand. They aren't bad, but wouldn't fool most guys that know patches.

Any idea who? would like to see. Patches are being made all over Asia, some intended to fool some not. USMF is the place to get the straight skinny if an example is found in the wild being passed off as an original Vietnam piece, or any other war for that matter. I've got the idea of finding someone in Thailand because it's an age old craft over there and they're still doing it. With my wife as the liaison, pretty sure it would be at a great price as well. This repro appears to be pretty heavy as if done like a cross stitch. The back is probably as full of thread as the front by the looks of it. The techniques used in Asia employ a stitch and pattern where just a few are seen on the back and covering stitches are used on the front. A practical way of doing it that not only makes a lighter patch and sharper image, but also saves on material. There's a girl on Etsy that I almost hired at one point when I found her hand embroidering a USMF patch, will post a link here if I can find it. The price was 55- but a week or two later when I was about to spend a few hundred with her the price went up to 300- After doing a few as the "labor of love" I realized the same thing she appears to have realized, a lot of work.

Here she is - https://www.etsy.com/listing/172640057/ ... attlesnake

TankBuster

His name is George. I can't seem to find any of his listings right now. He had some embroidered CNAC wings that were decent. Also some embroidered scarves, but those weren't as good. I contacted him as I was curious where he was having some of these made. He replied that he takes 2 trips to Asia every year to meet with people to have patches made. The patches I was referring to earlier he had made in Thailand.

2jakes

Labor of love.

14d0qqe.jpg

She probably made the patch as an homage to her dad who served in WW2.
This was in her page, sharing memories.
2n1gjgp.jpg

I found this one online.
It’s listed as original circa 1944.
I know zero about patches, stitching or aging
of leather.
I’ll let the experts chime in on this.
ySBWk5I.jpg

“....Ultra-rare WWII Chinese American Composite Wing jacket patch”.

Size: Aprox. 8” x 6-1/8”
Material: Multi-piece painted leather.
Sold but no mention of how much was paid.

Last edited:

Smithy

Labor of love.

14d0qqe.jpg

She made the patch as an homage to her dad who served in WW2.
2n1gjgp.jpg

I found this online.
It’s listed as original circa 1944.
I know zero about patches.
I’ll let the experts chime in on this.
ySBWk5I.jpg

“....Ultra-rare WWII Chinese American Composite Wing jacket patch”.

Size: Aprox. 8” x 6-1/8”
Material: Multi-piece painted leather.
Sold but no mention of how much was paid.

That's brilliant!