• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

12th AF Monarch A2

TankBuster

This one is a beauty. I used to own it quite a few years back. The squadron patch is one of the thickest I have ever encountered.

a2jacketpatches

How thick? Funny, jbmilart, Jim, just did this patch painted. He asked me a couple of weeks ago about thicknesses on patches because he was told they were all very thin veg tanned leather. That is most certainly untrue. I've seen and handled some very thin and very thick patches over the years, especially incised Italian ones. Also in the incised Italian, a thin buttery soft Gunner wing, like chamois, in between the top and bottom layer was soft and spongy like you could peel off the epidermis.

TankBuster

Very thick! To the point it was not pliable and very stiff. The leather itself was fine, it was just a very thick piece. The group patch on the other side is much thinner and more the standard. Both are great incised Italian made patches though. I remember this jacket well, as it was tough to let go. I went the way of collecting larger groupings with lots of extras so eventually I turned this one loose. When I sold it, I am pretty sure there were some letters from the vets daughter. Not sure if they are still there?

saunders

TankBuster said:
Very thick! To the point it was not pliable and very stiff. The leather itself was fine, it was just a very thick piece. The group patch on the other side is much thinner and more the standard. Both are great incised Italian made patches though. I remember this jacket well, as it was tough to let go. I went the way of collecting larger groupings with lots of extras so eventually I turned this one loose. When I sold it, I am pretty sure there were some letters from the vets daughter. Not sure if they are still there?

It surely is among the best of its kind, though too bad the paint is fully gone on some of the insignia and back art. Was the back painting of the P-47 at all intact when you had it? How did you acquire it? Did you get any history on Capt. Joe Keith? I used to know quite a few pilots from the original lineup of the 57th, though I suspect Capt. Keith didn't arrive until the Italian campaign. Thanks.

Saunders

TankBuster

The paint and artwork are the same as when I had it. I didn't have any extra info on Keith before I sold it, but with better sources available now, I'm sure more could be found. The jacket came from his daughter through a broker.

Stef

Damn ! i can't access the page from France.
Is there someone to post the pics here on VLJ, i'd like to see them really

thank

-----------
Stef

a2jacketpatches

KGrHqJlQE-30EBRgGBPz6LIJ3kw60_57.jpg