• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket would Indiana Jones *actually* have worn?

I was watching Raiders of the Lost Ark recently (for the nth time...) and got to thinking about Indy's jacket. I've owned a couple of Wested Indy jackets (both times Temple jackets - they were fine but I've moved on...) and it seems like the real jacket that it most closely resembles is a knit-less AN-J-3 (strong A2 vibes with a G-1 back).

But, if Indy were a real person, what intermediate weight leather jacket would he actually have worn?

The original trilogy is set in the mid 1930s (Raiders 1936, Temple 1935, Last Crusade 1938*). Indy's jacket is pretty beat up by the time it appears on screen so he would have had it for a number of years. Let's say he bought it in the late 1920s/early 1930s. The early A2s were just starting to be available but what would our favourite field archeologist actually have been able to buy? Maybe an A1?

Cheers,

Steve

*For now ignore the opening bit set in 1912 where a young Indy comes across a treasure hunter in a fedora and an Indy-type jacket.

Last edited:

mulceber

Getting to the question in the post, I don't think Indy would have worn either an A-2 or an A-1. Why? Knits - way too warm for the climates he works in. It's the same reason Harrison Ford didn't wear an A-2, even though that was the original plan for the character.

I think a traditional leather work jacket, like a half-belt would make the most sense for the character.

ZuZu

A-2s did just fine in jungle adventures. Run for the Sun Check out this film if you get a chance- this jacket gets a true workout- hilariously so! The jacket is a United Sheeplined- I figued it out after many pauses...

runforthesun1956.20881.jpg

run_for_the_sun048.jpg

51ddxXbtU6L.jpg

Silver Surfer

capeskin was very popular during the 1930s. Dave Sheeley has several examples, photos, and has made some of what was worn at the time for work-sport and mil inspired., as referenced in the post above

Smithy

capeskin was very popular during the 1930s. Dave Sheeley has several examples, photos, and has made some of what was worn at the time for work-sport and mil inspired., as referenced in the post above

Let's face it Vic, capeskin would be as useful as tits on a bull whilst getting dragged under a Nazi truck or being chased by a bloody great boulder through a South American ancient temple ;)