• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What G1 did I just buy?

Hey all! I just picked up a G1 from a militaria show of the type I’ve been looking for- later issue (60s-70s), Dynal collar, size 38. It’s something I have been looking for for quite some time with the right fit (despite not having very desirable features, of which I am aware. I had my reasons.) In any case, I took some pictures of labels and everything because I’m not exactly sure what I bought. A friend told me it’s not real military issue (maybe PX) but I’m not quite sure. The main label and USN perforation lead me to believe it actually is, but again I don’t know. Thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6777.jpeg
    IMG_6777.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6776.jpeg
    IMG_6776.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6775.jpeg
    IMG_6775.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6774.jpeg
    IMG_6774.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6773.jpeg
    IMG_6773.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 86

Lord Flashheart

Have a look at the 7823E examples here http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/“a-better-fighting-garment…”-2-0-a-revised-guide-to-the-u-s-navys-intermediate-leather-flight-jackets.30031/page-5

There's a bit about PX jackets here http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/“a-better-fighting-garment…”-2-0-a-revised-guide-to-the-u-s-navys-intermediate-leather-flight-jackets.30031/page-5

Doesn't look like the wind flap is punched USN which you'd expect if this were an issue jacket and agree with @Spitfireace but it could well be an overrun of the same production line as an issue G-1. Be good to see some more pics (and please post them as full size - there's a drop down) if you can.

The wind flap is punched, you can see in the very edge in the first pic. I’ve tried many of these on with mfr labels (i.e. real issue ones, for example Stars) and this one feels identical. I’ll take more pics and post tonight.

Odd that the pictures didn’t come out high res for you, as when I check this thread on my phone, they are clickable and are very high res. No matter, trying again here with a different method (new pics as well showing more details):

IMG_6790.jpeg

IMG_6791.jpeg

IMG_6792.jpeg

IMG_6793.jpeg

IMG_6794.jpeg

IMG_6795.jpeg

IMG_6796.jpeg

Lord Flashheart

Thanks BB - apologies I missed your mention of the USN punched windflap. Given the way that detail and labels could have been treated I think the balance of probability makes it a jacket which would be issuable. Whether it ever was or was disposed of as surplus is another matter.

Thomas Koehle

No details of the contract on the label - probably like some others already pointed out a PX jacket …

BRILL BROTHERS for example sold G1 jackets under a civil label “Golden Thread” as well so maybe any other manufacturer did that as well????

Nice jacket in good condition btw

Last edited:

Pilot

No details of the contract on the label - probably like some others already pointed out a PX jacket …

BRILL BROTHERS for example sold G1 jackets under a civil label “Holden Thread” as well so maybe any other manufacturer did that as well????

Nice jacket in good condition btw
Agree with Thomas..
In Korean ( US / ROK ) Air bases even the PX ( A-2’s from Saddlery ) jackets have all military spec N#.
Can be different in other countries.
IMHO a civy jacket from surplus or from lots which did not pass QC. …my 0.1ct input.