• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unique leather name patch [G1]

Erwin

Cool pieces in my opinion, worthy to post here. I've never seen this large size oh name patch before.
1724186665240.png

1724186698260.png

1724186718616.png

galvestonokie

Kind of a weird name tag. First, it has pilot wings. that's OK, but then it says "Plane Captain." IMHO, plane captains were enlisted guys, usually mechanics, resposible for the airplane's well being--like a crew chief on helos. looks to me like the plane captain had a buddy in the paraloft who made up the name tag for him.`although, during WWII and after for some years, the naval services had enlisted pilots. but, again IMHO, i doubt that any of the enlisted pilots ever reverted to being plane captains.

Erwin

Cool info, no idea only finding a records of this serviceman would disclose some details.

I regret not buying a very nice G1 with para marine jump wings name patch, jacket belonged to well now officer from this USMC record:
1000006079.jpg

The biggest regret regarding hasitating too long, it was a great G1.

P-47 thunderbolt

Could be non regulation name tag, on retirement especially with the honourable discharge pin/button
I've seen USMC retired name patches before

Erwin

Could be non regulation name tag, on retirement especially with the honourable discharge pin/button
I've seen USMC retired name patches before
Sadly would not agree with your comment, you can find a similarly patched jacket with A para jump wings leather name patch at USMF. These are genuine pieces not retirement ones, and comparably very hard to find.

B-Man2

Hi Erwin
Just a quick comment . I would question the legitimacy of a G-1 with USMC para wings as being more of a jacket that was just put together to sell than an actual jacket worn by a member of the Para Marines.
Reason: The WWII Para Marines were disbanded in Dec , 1943, long before the G-1 jacket was manufactured.
If Capt Shirley was a WW 2 para marine he would have been a pretty young one by his looks.
Just my thoughts on the jacket .

Erwin

Oh no, don't understand me wrong, please. I used a wrong expression for a USMC style jump wings. 100% agree about your precice comment about Para Marine. Will try to find if still have a picture of this leather patch with USMC jump wings. Based on the way how nicely aged it was watch was genuine and jacket was purchased ner the area where this veteran used to live. Really regretting to purchase this jacket and usually I don't.

It was a bit similar to this
1000006081.jpg

B-Man2

Oh no, don't understand me wrong, please. I used a wrong expression for a USMC style jump wings. 100% agree about your precice comment about Para Marine. Will try to find if still have a picture of this leather patch with USMC jump wings. Based on the way how nicely aged it was watch was genuine and jacket was purchased ner the area where this veteran used to live. Really regretting to purchase this jacket and usually I don't.

It was a bit similar to this
View attachment 157677
Sorry … I misunderstood your post .

Members online

Latest posts