• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Leather jacket of 2nd Lieutenant MAGREY, France 1940

Loulounug

Hello Forum

Here is a presentation of one of the most "wanted" pieces in the French side of the collection

It's a model 1935 tankist jacket, a hard one to find these days

But when the most are unamed, this one have one and.... it's not nobody !

Jacket itself
photo_2024-04-11_12-13-37.jpg

photo_2024-04-11_12-13-39 (2).jpg

photo_2024-04-11_12-13-38 (2).jpg

photo_2024-04-11_12-13-38.jpg

And here come the great part

photo_2024-04-11_12-13-38 (3).jpg

photo_2024-04-11_12-13-38 (4).jpg

This one is attributed to second lieutnant (Sous lieutenant ) Louis MAGREY, tank commander of the feared B1 Bis Tanks

Louis Robert Joseph MAGREY was born on August 6, 1913, in Luxeuil-les-Bains in Haute-Saône.

Admitted on Military Class in 1933.

Admitted to the Special Military School with keychains, promotion Alexander I. Ranked 240th out of 304 students in 1936. Posted on the tank speciality on 1 September 1936, with the rank of second lieutenant on 1 October.
Passed by 511th, 508th RCC, 8th BCC.
(RCC = Régiment De Char de Combat (Tank Regiment) / BCC = Bataillon de Char de Combat (Tank Bataillon)

Awarded the 1939 war cross with vermeil star: Brave and calm officer. On May 16, 1940, his tank being destroyed by a bomb during a displacement, took command of a subordinate tank. Meeting the enemy on the 17th at Hauteville, and although lower in number, engaged the fight, destroying several tanks, including a P.Z.K.W. 4, and putting the others on the run.
Awarded the Knight of the National Order of the Legion of Honor.

He died in captivity on 4 February 1945 at the Nieubourg camp on Weser (Neuburg).

During the battle of France, he was first attached in a B1 Bis called "LILLE" of 8th BCC
Here is a picture of the first tank he was, before it was destroyed by air attack (May 16 1940)
image_5920088.jpg

Them, he took command of a second tank after the air attack (as an commander of the tank squad), the B1 Bis "MISTRAL" to continue an counter attack near Le Catelêt
charb1b1-20150508.jpg

Here is a short story of the combat

This 2nd column is followed by a 3rd column composed of buses carrying various infantry/logistics/HQ troops from many different units. They are led by the B1bis 'Mistral' and they leave Wassigny at 20h30 /21h00.
The B1bis 'Mistral' from 3/15e BCC is also in Wassigny but will join the other B1bis tanks later. This tank did not move with the 2nd column because the crew was exhausted after several days of combat and movement without sleeping at all. The B1bis 'Mistral' is also not very nice to see, there are many parts of German bodies (flesh, uniform parts etc.) stuck in the elements of the tranks. Mainly from the combats in Landrecies on May 17. Indeed, the B1bis 'Mistral' pursued several German soldiers by driving through the walls of a house to kill them.

Arriving at Bohain, the B1bis 'Mistral' spearheading the column spots 2-3 German AFVs and a destroyed blockade. Sous-Lieutenant Raiffaud concludes that the town is occupied by the enemy. They spent the night in the fields around. At dawn (May 17) they go on, avoiding Bohain and heading to Le Catelet.
The 3rd column meets the Panhard 178 'Fracas' from 4th platoon of the 2e GRDI (9e DIM) commanded by Aspirant Alain de Mierry. This armored car is the single survivor of its platoon. It will open the way to Le Catelet.

The B1bis 'Mistral' meets Lieutenant Magrey from 8e BCC on the road. He is included in the crew.
At 10h00 they arrive in front of Le Catelet where 2 German armored cars can be seen destroyed.
Entering in the town and crossing a square, the Panhard 178 is ambushed by German AT guns firing from different directions. The turret is hi on the right and on the left but without serious damage and no one is wounded. Immediately the 2nd driver (the Panhard 178 has a dual drive) moves back while several projectiles are passing in front of the armored car.
The B1bis 'Mistral' which remained far behind the Panhard 178 continues to advance. It destroyes an AT gun (or a tank according to the driver) hidden behind a building and moves on to the bridge over the Escaut River. Having reached the bridge, the commander sees French troops on the other bank and believes that he has joined French lines. Lieutenant Magrey bails out an want to make contact with these troops. But as soon as he has moved 50 meters, 2 German AT guns begin to fire at the stopped B1bis 'Mistral' (one on the front and one on the rear of the tank). The one on the rear manages to neutralize the French tank. Sous-Lieutenant Raiffaud evacuates the tank and jump in the river. He will cross 70 km in 48 hours before being captured by elements of the 7.PzD.
(https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=110720)

And like a cherry on top of the cake, here is a picture of the owner of the jacket
image_5920085.jpg

Thanks for viewing
Louis.

Silver Surfer

Man, that is very cool. French troops attempting to hold back the German onslaught is glossed over by most wwll historians. Magrey’s tank looks like something left over from wwl. Oh, and that jacket is kickass.

Kermit3D

Woah! great

These are beautiful jackets, especially when they have a well-known history.
@Loulounug thanks for all these details about the history of Louis MAGREY, it's really interesting.

It's such a shame that my grandfather's jacket has disappeared... I'd love to have it. One day I'll look for one

Kermit3D

And yes, the history of the French Tankists (and more generally the history of the French army) in 1940 is often little studied/misunderstood (many preconceived ideas too).
French tanks were generally good. Some, like the B1 Bis mentioned above, were even technically advanced for their time, and superior to German tanks (from 1940).
The French fought with great courage, at the cost of many casualties. During the Battle of Dunkirk, German General von Küchler wrote in his diary: “Fighting one against twenty, I find in these soldiers the same ardor as those of Verdun in 1916. We're not breaking through anywhere, and our losses are terrifying”.

Loulounug

Hello

Wonderfull jacket @Pilot , notice the different buttons between mine and you'r

I made a mistake when writting, the rank of Lieutenant Magrey is first lieutnant not 2nd lieutnant , that match the two rank bars on the sleeves of his uniform photo.

@Kermit3D, Yep B1 Bis (and the heavy TER version) where a pain to kill for the germans 5cm and 7,5cm when encoutered

It was also the second time of the use of AA FlaK 8,8 cm guns again tanks (first where during the spanish revolution) and that helped a lot choosing the gun for the futur heavy tank in projet (VK45.01H - Or Tiger)

VeraVoulik

So love to see this!

I use to collect BCC insignia 1940's campaign and have a replica tanker jacket m35 made some years ago.

@I also have 1940 french aviation nice items at home but more my husband's thing ;)