• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shearling vest

AHP91

Anyone recognize what kind of vest this is? Some research points to a c-3 aviator vest but most examples I saw don’t look exactly like this. Has the mid to late 1940s talon zipper.

Also, not listing this on eBay or anything, I hunt for old stuff and this one was too cool to pass up. Thanks

6BF93280-CC59-4CC0-84AD-2DEE8DF72EBE.jpeg

A3B84986-19E2-45BB-8023-62548128BCB2.jpeg

Dumpster D

Don't know what type of vest specifically, I've seen many different patterns and variations/versions of these. under the C-3 vest title, so I don't know how many variants existed specifically, I've see at least three distinct variations and presume there's more. Don't remember ever seeing a vest with a tag either, so I'm not sure on their contracts and dates or makers.

The one I have is a different pattern and cut altogether, I'll have to take some photos later for you, if you're interested to compare?

Hopefully someone here is more familiar with the history of these.

It's rare, very. Safe to say..and probably my guess is that It's a legit flying vest, would have to see some closer photos of the gusset area, looks like its been tailored possibly? Can't tell.

The pockets are awesome and it looks in very good condition overall.

Would love to see closeup photos of the trim and also Zipper please.

If the trim is an army OD Green along with the zipper tape, it's a good clue, chances are it's a real deal WWII air force one. Very cool.

Last edited:

AHP91

Don't know what type of vest specifically, I've seen many different patterns and variations/versions of these. under the C-3 vest title, so I don't know how many variants existed specifically, I've see at least three distinct variations and presume there's more. Don't remember ever seeing a vest with a tag either, so I'm not sure on their contracts and dates or makers.

The one I have is a different pattern and cut altogether, I'll have to take some photos later for you, if you're interested to compare?

Hopefully someone here is more familiar with the history of these.

It's rare, very. Safe to say..and probably my guess is that It's a legit flying vest, would have to see some closer photos of the gusset area, looks like its been tailored possibly? Can't tell.

The pockets are awesome and it looks in very good condition overall.

Would love to see closeup photos of the trim and also Zipper please.

If the trim is an army OD Green along with the zipper tape, it's a good clue, chances are it's a real deal WWII air force one. Very cool.
Thanks. The vest should be delivered shortly, will post additional photos. Would love to see your vest. Thanks for the info

Dumpster D

OK, here's another example of a legit WWII Flying vest...Boy I sure want someone to 'clone' this vest and produce a wearable one in my size!!! It doesn't get any cooler than this.

It's 'chrome' Tanned sheepskin, like yours appears to be which is a bit of a clue as well, also similar fleece depth to a D-1 Jacket which members here say is about 10mm thick more or less? if I've got that correct?

Some of the members here might help date yours by pattern, I'm not familiar, limited information about how these were being produced and specifically what they were meant to be worn with in terms of other flying equipment, but they weren't common items even for their time from what I am led to believe.

Again, there's many different types of patterns of these that I've seen.

This one is a bit of a survivor.

Note the 'Conmar' Zip on this one, however I haven't checked close enough whether it's a replacement or not, either way it's an OD Green Military Zip for sure used on other types of flying Jackets.

This is a WILD guess of mine, but judging the material on those pockets of your vest, they might be goat skin? Therefore your vest *could* possibly be a USN Vest? I'm not sure of this at all, please don't take what I'm saying as true for certain, I'm speculating, because the material and pattern look kinda like Navy sheepskin Jackets and gloves and helmets that I've seen in comparison to USAAF stuff. But I could be totally wrong, that's just my hunch/gut feeling.

But I mean, compare your pattern to this one, completely different shape and form:

mail.google.jpg

mail.google-3.jpg
mail.google-2.jpg
mail.google-1.jpg

Last edited:

Shanghai-Mayne

OK, here's another example of a legit WWII Flying vest...Boy I sure want someone to 'clone' this vest and produce a wearable one in my size!!! It doesn't get any cooler than this.

It's 'chrome' Tanned sheepskin, like yours appears to be which is a bit of a clue as well, also similar fleece depth to a D-1 Jacket which members here say is about 10mm thick more or less? if I've got that correct?

Some of the members here might help date yours by pattern, I'm not familiar, limited information about how these were being produced and specifically what they were meant to be worn with in terms of other flying equipment, but they weren't common items even for their time from what I am led to believe.

Again, there's many different types of patterns of these that I've seen.

This one is a bit of a survivor.

Note the 'Conmar' Zip on this one, however I haven't checked close enough whether it's a replacement or not, either way it's an OD Green Military Zip for sure used on other types of flying Jackets.

This is a WILD guess of mine, but judging the material on those pockets of your vest, they might be goat skin? Therefore your vest *could* possibly be a USN Vest? I'm not sure of this at all, please don't take what I'm saying as true for certain, I'm speculating, because the material and pattern look kinda like Navy sheepskin Jackets and gloves and helmets that I've seen in comparison to USAAF stuff. But I could be totally wrong, that's just my hunch/gut feeling.

But I mean, compare your pattern to this one, completely different shape and form:

View attachment 152695
View attachment 152697View attachment 152701View attachment 152699
This one is a good looking piece!

asiamiles

Anyone recognize what kind of vest this is? Some research points to a c-3 aviator vest but most examples I saw don’t look exactly like this. Has the mid to late 1940s talon zipper.

Also, not listing this on eBay or anything, I hunt for old stuff and this one was too cool to pass up. Thanks

View attachment 152597

My guess is that it's non-military item, possibly made with recycled sheepskin. But it's a nice vest, and I'd say you were right to pick it up if the price was right.

I don't think I've ever seen a wartime photo of someone wearing a C-3 vest, and I don't recall seeing them in any war films. I wonder who wore them, and how they worn?

AHP91

My guess is that it's non-military item, possibly made with recycled sheepskin. But it's a nice vest, and I'd say you were right to pick it up if the price was right.

I don't think I've ever seen a wartime photo of someone wearing a C-3 vest, and I don't recall seeing them in any war films. I wonder who wore them, and how they worn?
Thanks. So do you mean to say it was probably manufactured in the years following ww2 and for civilian use? Or constructed much later as a project? The construction looks pretty old, also the zipper suggests mid or late 1940s.

Dumpster D

Here's a 'recycled' vest, probably from a flight jacket or trousers, that had damage, or someone really wanted a vest. The one's like that are referred to as being 'Theatre made' during the war.

The vest in this photo looks to me like it was made from deconstructing and recycling a pair of USN Sheepskin Trousers.

I don't know about your vest, it looks too precision to have been theatre made from a Jacket or flight pants, unless someone had it professionally custom made...But you'd really have to study it carefully before presuming anything about when, or how it was produced.

Also, I have seen a wartime photo of someone wearing the C-3 vest, possibly remember it from a book in my collection, either 'Gear up' or 'Vintage flying helmets' but not absolutely sure now.

*UPDATE* Note the 'US' Stamp on the bottom of this vest, very cool.

s-l1600-17.jpg

Last edited:

asiamiles

Thanks. So do you mean to say it was probably manufactured in the years following ww2 and for civilian use? Or constructed much later as a project? The construction looks pretty old, also the zipper suggests mid or late 1940s.

We can only guess, which is part of the fun of it all. And we have to bear in mind that just because the sheepskin and zipper may date from the 40s, it doesn't necessarily mean that's when the garment was (re)made; it could have been cut down from a wartime jacket 20 years later, and the side seams in particular suggest to me semi-professional work.
A couple of things: The pockets don't to me look like anything one would see on an issued military garment, or even modified one, as they seem more cosmetic than functional, and the imperfections I've circled aren't likely what one would see on a store bought jacket.
oldvest.jpg

Dumpster D

My wild, uneducated guess is your vest was possibly 'Theatre made' during the war by recycling a USN Jacket or some kind of intermediate USN Trousers, and the pattern was lifted from another Vest that belonged to a buddy who had an issued one because the other guy wanted one too!! ;)

It also looks like it might have been roughly tailored by someone though.

Last edited: