• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mysterious Tanker Jacket, Help Appreciated!

Anorak

Hey guys, I purchased this lot of military clothing. The primary reason I purchased it was for what I thought was a Winter Combat Jacket. However, as you can see in the photos the pockets do not match those of the 1st or 2nd model Winter Combat Jacket. While this could be a repro, as I have seen some with pockets that are closer to the waist band, I am inclined to believe it is not, however this could just be wishful thinking.

The jacket has a clear musty smell to it. The collar and and neck band are quite loose and the material feels a bit delicate. The jacket while over all in good shape, has lots of scuff marks from heavy use. This lot also came with what I believe is an original tanker bib, pictures included. It, besides for one or two zippers having been changed, is in insanely good shape. Additionally, all of the other items in the lot appear to me to be WW2 period correct. Multiple pairs of the pants and shirts are named. The most interesting named item is a pair of pants with the name E. Brooke Lee Jr. Doing a quick search, I believe these could have belonged to Capt. Edward B. Lee Jr. who was part of the 326th Glider Infantry Regiment. I know that other items being from the correct period does not validate that the Winter Combat Jacket in question is from WW2, but perhaps minimally supports it being so. The jacket, also has the outline of where its tags used to be.

If I had to take a guess, I would say it is private purchase jacket, however I defer to the the experts. Thank you for the help!

IMG_9825.jpeg

IMG_9827.jpeg

IMG_9828.jpeg

IMG_9830.jpeg
IMG_9829.jpeg

IMG_9834.jpeg

IMG_9835.jpeg

IMG_9841.jpeg

IMG_9842.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9834.jpeg
    IMG_9834.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,670

Pilot

Sorry, IMHO its a repro with an original Conmar zipper attached.
The stitches are surely not WWII nor is the Conmar positioning/centering.
The wole zipper assembly is totally offset ( knitting)…
Just my 1ct opinion.
Edit.. just noticed.. the second pattern Tanker jacket had no neck label … and if it was not stitched onto the liner…so full fake.. sorry!

Last edited:

Enigma1938

Just my 1ct opinion.
Edit.. just noticed.. the second pattern Tanker jacket had no neck label … and if it was not stitched onto the liner…so full fake.. sorry!
I second that, the relative low position of the side entry pockets is also typical for most common repros. Same with most M41 field jacket repros which have the same issue.

Anorak

Just my 1ct opinion.
Ok np, any opinion on the bib?

Anorak

Just my 1ct opinion.
Interesting comment about the tag, I thought the same thing and then I saw these two. I think they are original second pattern tanker jackets with the vertical labels in the collar. Sorry I might be messing up the definition of 1st vs 2nd pattern, is the main difference the pockets?

Pilot

Interesting comment about the tag, I thought the same thing and then I saw these two. I think they are original second pattern tanker jackets with the vertical labels in the collar. Sorry I might be messing up the definition of 1st vs 2nd pattern, is the main difference the pockets?

Thanks.
Agree … confusing…
Both jacket look good except the tag which should not be there… I would pass…. Sorry.
The pocket placement ( correct) is also much higher than on the OP fake tanker.
Again the OP tanker has it all wrong.