• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MASH knits

Micawber

Interesting that you mention “quite fine.” I assume you’re referring to the weave size. I’ve heard they’re “fine” in that sense, also soft and light. In a vacuum that’s hardly criticism, but what about as compared to original knits?

There are quite a few places that will supply passable replacements. I have bought and installed more than one set from a chap who was selling them on eBay for quite a while, I don’t know if he still is. They were all wool and somewhat coarser weave than the MASH ones and lost a degree of elasticity after a time but did the job. MASH knits will do the job too. I’ve seen unissued knits in period packaging come up for sale sometimes but hazard a guess that the product from different suppliers varied and there may have been variations between production runs.
Pick a contract, study photos of examples to get a feel of what is required then source replacements that are the best match.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

mash knits are so so. if Larry is still on eb, his knits are pretty damn good. also Chappy [gw] might sell knits to ya, as well as elc. I know, I know, there's been beef about elc knits, but I have found them to be good quality, proper weave, color and weight.ps: I forgot to add that headwind also sells knits that are very good..

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Didn't take long for them to start pilling and loosen up.

Mine too and quick. I don't really mind the loose waistband if it stays as is and the pilling can be dealt with but this batch is just not up there. The very light weight of the kit is probably a tell sign of the low quality...
But last year I did use a kit of sage green MASH knits that I acquired 5 years ago with a Rolen B-15D, set on an original L-2B and they are very close to the kinits that were change...

Maybe ask MASH where they stand with the specific kit you desire or I can send you my unused kit and you decide. Drop me a pm.

D