• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting personalized A2 Rough Wear jacket

Erwin

More information about this interesting piece here: https://www.bonhams.com/auction/229...ent-group-c1951-25-x-17in-64-x-445cm-size-42/

WW2 Buff

You are right, it is interesting. It appears to be an original WW2 period A-2 jacket with the United nation's flag painted on the back. The A-2 jacket was issued by the USAAF, however, "US NAVY" is painted on it. It is somewhat of a contradiction. Maybe a sailor serving in the Navy after WW2 was doing some kind of service on behalf of the UN and wearing a WW2 period A-2. Or maybe it is just a collector who admires the UN and Navy, and painted the jacket himself or had the jacket painted.

Grant

FWIW, there was a lot of inter service bartering that went on during the Korean War. My dad said USN aircraft would occasionally land at their base (K-8) Kusan for refueling, etc. He also said A-2 jackets were still being worn so it might make sense this Rough Wear was part of a trade deal. Regardless, cool artwork on that Rough Wear!

Grant

I just rememebered a funny story my dad told me. A USMC AD4 made an emergency landing fully loaded with ordinance at Kusan. That evening as a prank they removed the under wing ordinance/fuel tanks and painted USAF in large letters on underside of the wings. The next morning the Marine pilot was non too pleased.

P-47 thunderbolt

Just like to highlight how pointed the pocket flaps are on that 27752. Seen that quite often.
Very much like the Hilts A2.
And a redye