• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How warm are flight jackets?

Skiny

I'm considering buying my first flight jacket, but I'd specifically like it for a regular winter coat.

Given their original use, I expect they're pretty good at helping you resist the cold, but how are they in practice? Would you be comfortable around -5 to -10c for example (considering you're wearing other winter clothes)?

Thanks in advance :)

Smithy

Shearling/sheepskin is warm - think you want to be using it in an ambient temperature between +2 and -10 Celsius. If you layer you can use it in lower temperatures but if we're honest there's one area where it's hopeless and that is that it doesn't cover your arse, etc.

I live inside the Arctic Circle and love wearing my Irvin jacket. It's great in cold, still conditions but if it's cold (serious minus temps) and it starts blowing you need a parka.

The one thing to remember with flight jackets (apart from the likes of B-9s and B-11s) is they were designed to be worn sitting in a cockpit or airframe and often with matching flight pants/trousers so they don't protect your kidneys, arse, etc.

Just keep that in mind if you live somewhere which can get seriously cold like I do.

Skiny

Great, thanks for the replies!

Yeah, covering only the upper half is something I had thought about, but I think it will be ok.

Anything known about that particular brand, Nobel House? I know very little about these jackets and only by chance stumbled upon this forum.

B-Man2

There are better and more historically accurate repros of those types of jackets available . Start your research here by going back into the archives . There are reviews on just about every type of flight jacket available .

Smithy

Great, thanks for the replies!

Yeah, covering only the upper half is something I had thought about, but I think it will be ok.

Anything known about that particular brand, Nobel House? I know very little about these jackets and only by chance stumbled upon this forum.

They're from Germany, not exactly accurate to wartime patterns but by all accounts well made and it'll be warm.

Here we're often interested in accuracy but if all you want is a jacket which is a homage to an actual flying jacket then it will probably suit your needs and you'll be thrilled with it.

If you want a stitch for stitch repro of an actual flying jacket then look elsewhere.

B-Man2

If you’re in the market for a nice jacket you might consider posting a WTB request in the Buy/ Sell section of this forum . They are several people looking to sell jackets at great prices and you might find something you like there.