• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help about sizing ELC STAR SPORTSWEAR before buying 44 or 46 ? I'm a 44R with "common" jackets

bn1966

Began with a size 46 ELC A-2 which looked great undone and was a pig to break in, chose a 46 because that is my chest size. Gave up in the end and purchased two 48’s (Monarch & 50 Cal) which look fine undone but can also be zipped up without breathing restrictions :cool:

ludospeed

Alors ce sera plus simple ! Je suis un Froggy too ;) . Les deux que tu présentes , bien que de taille 42 sont légèrement différentes , les "contrats" n'étant pas les mêmes.RW semble plus juste au corps et la STAR , ample . Je me sens très à l'aise dans la 46 mais aimerait qqchose de plus cintré , un peu comme le résultat que j’obtiens en portant la 5Star. Je pense aller voir la boutique T Bird à Paris ( je suis sur Châtillon) , ce sera plus simple d'essayer là bas , ils viennent de recevoir un lot . Quand à l’annonce dont je parle je suis plus que méfiant. Sur LBC et Vinted , l'annonce est la même mais même si le vendeur est en ligne il n'y a aucune réponse à mes message et mon offre. Il y a aussi une annonce sur LBC qui était sur Vinted hier mais marquée comme vendu et ne l'ai pas sur LBC . Des vendeurs sans aucune évaluation. Dommage , très intéressant niveau prix ! sur l'annonce le prix est de 750eu , T Bird ça va etre 1580eu . Même pas mal ! je fais ça en attendant une GoodWear que je suis en train de commander , mais j'ai peur d'etre à la retraite avant de la recevoir !
Le bon coin jamais j'ai tenté.
Vinted c'est pas plus sécurisé au niveau des arnaques en plus ils ont enlevé Paypal.
Bon travel si tu vas à Paris.

flyincowboy

I am in the same boat 44 is too narrow and 46 is fine 48 too big My ELC MONARCH is a bit narrow but the shoulders are fine ..on the other side the 5* Dubow 46 is perfect . For the next A2 i will use the Dubow dimensions as
references and go this way.

IMG_20210421_103052.jpg

LV426

It’s an age thing, I reckon. Lean and mean when you are lean and mean, but as age and gravity take effect, comfort is prioritized.no more sleeves riding up to your elbows when driving.
Could not say better ! I remember When I was 15 to 30 even 40 , Punk rock life searching for quickness - Bad Brains - , now that's quickless ! Style , taste and needs evolves keeping the same rage somtimes but , yes sleevs down !

LV426

Le bon coin jamais j'ai tenté.
Vinted c'est pas plus sécurisé au niveau des arnaques en plus ils ont enlevé Paypal.
Bon travel si tu vas à Paris.
j'ai trouvé qqs belles affaires sur LBC , pas mal de matériel US army .Surtout des brodequins et bottes de saut que je porte après ressemelage. Mais j'y vais avec beaucoup de circonspection. Vinted , je vends surtout , chaussures aussi ! mais j'ai beaucoup de mal à me faire une idée par rapport aux vestes surtout quand il faut les acheter sur le net , sans les essayer préalablement c'zest un peu la roulette Russe ! Et habitant en France on a un sérieux désavantage face aux US et GB car les taxes d'importation ça tchuuuuu ! Merci , je vais bien voir si une des deux coupes me va et me donne envie . Je erai un retour le jour venu !

Last edited:

LV426

I am in the same boat 44 is too narrow and 46 is fine 48 too big My ELC MONARCH is a bit narrow but the shoulders are fine ..on the other side the 5* Dubow 46 is perfect . For the next A2 i will use the Dubow dimensions as
references and go this way.

View attachment 160031
Above all we have to deal with or body , we never see ourselves as we really are , you look really fine with this beautiful Monarch ( and your companion seems ok with too !! ) . About the Dubow , I think it's the smartest cut in the A2 contracts , with Rough Wear , but I'm far from being an expert and to give such a judgement. I have to go to the store next week , I will see !

Last edited:

flyincowboy

The best to do in my opinion go to a shop were you can try THE ELC jacket of your choice the one that suit you well the best one ... Take some dimensions with a tape ruler and mark them It will help you for a future jacket then ask for some" reflexion time"you will have to make your mind up before taking the great decision buy the jacket now or go for a second hand one that suit you later.

LV426

Began with a size 46 ELC A-2 which looked great undone and was a pig to break in, chose a 46 because that is my chest size. Gave up in the end and purchased two 48’s (Monarch & 50 Cal) which look fine undone but can also be zipped up without breathing restrictions :cool:
That's one my fear too , I have not a small chest so I have to pay attention to this detail when I will choose the right size . And never forget to keep enough room for a sweater , and the evolution of the body , at 54 it's touchy !!! ahahaha

LV426

Hey LV. Unfortunately I can't help you with the jacket/s you're looking for, however I can say this - I think both the Star and Dubow look great! I like the slightly more relaxed fit of the Star but that's just my preference and also appreciate and respect yours. Both beautiful jackets!
Thank you CK ! What I believe is the more you wear your jackets the more you'll like 'hem . When I reply to your messag I'm wearing the ELC on my sofa ( with my cat on my side ) , it's a feeling of comfort and a really good smell of leather. I just want to feel the wearing without feeling it , I don't know if it's clear ! Next week I will have the occasion to try before buuy , it's quite comfortable too ! Living in france when you love this type of jackets , or old boots like me is really painfull ! The duty taxes are killing . one year ago I did nt imagine that now I would have two jackets , want an other one from ELC and an other , maybe one day ( before my retirement ! ) from JC GW . It's an addiction ... Like for the old boots I had and still have . Discovering the Forupm with such a caring community was very important , primordial ! Take care ;)

LV426

The best to do in my opinion go to a shop were you can try THE ELC jacket of your choice the one that suit you well the best one ... Take some dimensions with a tape ruler and mark them It will help you for a future jacket then ask for some" reflexion time"you will have to make your mind up before taking the great decision buy the jacket now or go for a second hand one that suit you later.
Hi ! That's exactly what i'm gonna do ! Next week I have an appointment in a Paris ELC "stocksit" ( like ELC site say ) shop ,htere is only two models this time : Air master , I will check that . It's quite hard to find a second hand here in France , especially sizes like 46 or up . Time will tell !

LV426

Vic and I both bought our Eastman Star's about the same time. I normally wear a sz 42 in Eastman maker A-2's but sized up to a 44 given the slightly smaller chest. My sz 44 started out big on me but has since broken down and fits great. The hides Gary used on this batch started out relatively smooth but with wear is developing some cool character. FWIW, I added the MASH decal.

View attachment 159999
Grant , this jacket is a beauty ! Living in France I don't have the chance to mess with the size ( duty taxes and so with GB and or US ) . So I have to take my decision considering ALL the possibilities and choose wisely , all the advices I read here or in others similar threads in VLG are priceless . I joined the forum less than a year ago and after a lot of patience and reading a lot from the community I began to have an opinion. An opinion that evolves each time i read an other thread ! The GW and ELC , and History preservations and other sites are good learning too . But this Forum is the best way to progress , the fact to have such discussons is really usefull. Thank you . Hope my english is not too bad and understandable ! ( Don't want to use google translator , it's horrible !)

Last edited:

LV426

One size up seems to work for most, as the jacket tends to mold to your body over time. Early on I used to buy size 44s that were trim on me from the day they came out of the box. Over time I came to realize that they were always tight and not comfortable. Went up to a 46 and in some contracts a size 48.
Much happier with the results .
I think you're right , it seems to be an opinion shared by the majority here , and I will take it for what it is : good advices given by experts !