• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goatskin or steerhide on a1969 7823D Star Sportswear

Ritchy

I received a G1 7823D Star Sportswear from 1969. It is in quite good condition but needs some care, including a major cleaning and new knits to replace the old ones that have been eaten away by moths. It has a sheepskin collar and I'm wondering how to know if leather is goatskin or cowhide?

Ritchy

I got this very dirty jacket. Moth cocoons were dried on the leather.
I first did a good cleaning with white vinegar and baking soda. I then sprinkled it with baking soda inside and out and left it overnight in a closed plastic bag.
The next day I cleaned it with leather milk before treating it with vegetable fat.
The leather is superb, it has regained its character.
The collar is missing and the sheepskin under the fur is dried out.
The knitwear was devoured by moths.
The closure is in very good condition.
The next step will be to replace the knits and perhaps the collar.
Another one who will soon be saved
PXL_20240609_181322927.jpg
PXL_20240609_181447057.jpg
PXL_20240609_181347320.jpg
PXL_20240609_181354639.jpg
PXL_20240609_181416542.jpg
PXL_20240609_181420641.jpg
PXL_20240609_181832174.jpg

B-Man2

You still may not have killed all of the hitchhikers on that jacket . I suggest that you put it in a plastic trash bag and put it in a deep freezer for about 5 days and freeze it, thus making sure everything on that jacket is dead. You sure don’t want the larva to spread to your other jackets or clothing .

Jtrob

You still may not have killed all of the hitchhikers on that jacket . I suggest that you put it in a plastic trash bag and put it in a deep freezer for about 5 days and freeze it, thus making sure everything on that jacket is dead. You sure don’t want the larva to spread to your other jackets or clothing .
Great suggestion, it would be a shame to do the great work so far and not finish the job for certain!

Thomas Koehle

OK - some other folks already mentioned the jacket is goat ...

As far as i know it was mainly IMPERIAL using cowhide for a certain timeperiod. It is pretty easy to distinguish: the surface is rather smooth than showing any excessive graining and the leather is a thad thicker than on the goat-versions

i have 2 "cows" made by IMP in my collection and both of them show similar qualities in weight and leather thickness

Good idea with the freezer btw @B-Man2 Burt

Ritchy

I hadn't thought of that Burt, I'll do it quickly, thanks

Ritchy

As far as i know it was mainly IMPERIAL using cowhide for a certain timeperiod. It is pretty easy to distinguish: the surface is rather smooth than showing any excessive graining and the leather is a thad thicker than on the goat-versions

i have 2 "cows" made by IMP in my collection and both of them show similar qualities in weight and leather thickness

Thanks for that information Thomas

Flightengineer

and cow G1 usually creaks like an old sofa or a flock of seagulls. I once had one too :)

Ritchy

Nice jacket, hope you didn't pay too much considering the collar and knitting needs to be replaced.
I paid less than the knits replacement will cost. The leather and the lining are in very good conditions the leather near the closure shows no signs of wear and the jacket appears to have been barely worn. I think it was a good deal.

Pilot

Great find… congrats…Goat 101% sure.
The collar needs replacing… looks like buggs inthere eating it up slowly… please make sure they dont find others material to gulp…

Dumpster D

I don't think this is possible to save it to keep the jacket wearable
It would be possible to repair those knits, and wear them. However if you want new ones installed, please save the originals and do not throw them away.

Remove the old knits and keep them, do not throw them away...is what I'm trying to say...I'll take them if you don't want those.

Also wanted to ask what are you using for replacement knits?

Ritchy

I understood, i think to use mash knits in seal brown or middle brown. I get one of each and i will choose. Where do you live ?