• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing/Stabilizing Acrylic Paint Artwork

Jennison

I’ve got an A-2 with a painted wings & star emblem on the shoulder. It was done back in 1987 and has held up pretty well; I’m assuming it was done with acrylic paint. However, there are nicks in the paint (see photo) and I’d like to keep those from becoming problem areas. I came across this “acrylic finisher” stuff and would like to know if this would be a good choice to seal the nicks. I’d be dabbing pinhead sized amounts right in the tiny voids. If this stuff isn’t the ticket, what should I use?

Attachments

• IMG_5775.png
    IMG_5775.png
    9.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5774.jpeg
    IMG_5774.jpeg
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 26

Smithy

Acrylic clear floor polish (called Future in the States and was called Klear in the Commonwealth but not available now sadly although alternatives exist) is perfect. It's exceedingly hardwearing (hardly surprising it's designed for people to traipse up and down in shoes thousands of times) and also flexible.

Pilot

Created my own shellac laquer, mixed with natural dyes and veg. oils…. Using it for restoration.
Once dry… even in a shower bath it will not
dissolve..