• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star A6 Flying boots

bn1966

Just came up in my FB Feed
9A4E9409-D3AE-4853-81C5-F71645DE3D46.jpeg

Griffon_301

I got the jacket, I got the trousers, I just need the boots now...

btw, BR does the A-11 trousers next season, if anyone fancies around spending 2k Euro for a pair, I can highly recommend them, well the original ones that is... very warm and functional for dog walks in the cold

Erwin

Folks are you serious finding these "A6" Boots cool? Like Thomas indicated, without a proper rubber soles these look super bad in my opinion, I know that there's no other option but really these ugly ones for display?

Jennison

Where would you guys wear these ?
I always wanted a pair of RAF Flying boots but I’d look a little strange wearing them out .
As far as practicality, that's a good question Burt..coming from a Floridian. Here in New England (and even colder places), the answer is easy. If you own a pair of Bean boots (and a great many of us do), you can wear these just as easily. In fact, Bean has a version with a front zip like that. With regard to Erwin's comment, I'm glad he chimed in. I'm not an expert on these, but I've stared at many photos and have seen lots of examples in person. As soon as I saw the photo, something looked off and I too quickly determined it to be the soles mainly, along with the contrasting piping (the fleece is a bit off, but that's ok) The molded soles on Shawn's boot look more like a very loose copy of the A-6A boot soles (the later iteration with the straps) and even then they look off. The molded features are too pronounced, making the soles look thick and rather rigid. Here are photos of a pair of pre/early-war boots that were commonly used during the General Standard period of A-2 jacket. You can compare them for yourself. Note the brown soles, in keeping with the regulation color (eg shoes) of the period. Black was later issued as well, in both the A-6 and A-6A (including post War) versions, but the brown soles are unmistakably WWII. That said, I profusely laud Shawn for going where no other maker has bothered to venture; he's an open-minded guy as well. So in-all, he gets a big thumbs-up from me for this project and I have no doubt the final version will be more refined.

Attachments

• A-6 Boots.1.jpg
    A-6 Boots.1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 55
  • A-6 Boots.2.jpg
    A-6 Boots.2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

leper-colony

As far as practicality, that's a good question Burt..coming from a Floridian. Here in New England (and even colder places), the answer is easy. If you own a pair of Bean boots (and a great many of us do), you can wear these just as easily. In fact, Bean has a version with a front zip like that. With regard to Erwin's comment, I'm glad he chimed in. I'm not an expert on these, but I've stared at many photos and have seen lots of examples in person. As soon as I saw the photo, something looked off and I too quickly determined it to be the soles mainly, along with the contrasting piping (the fleece is a bit off, but that's ok) The molded soles on Shawn's boot look more like a very loose copy of the A-6A boot soles (the later iteration with the straps) and even then they look off. The molded features are too pronounced, making the soles look thick and rather rigid. Here are photos of a pair of pre/early-war boots that were commonly used during the General Standard period of A-2 jacket. You can compare them for yourself. Note the brown soles, in keeping with the regulation color (eg shoes) of the period. Black was later issued as well, in both the A-6 and A-6A (including post War) versions, but the brown soles are unmistakably WWII. That said, I profusely laud Shawn for going where no other maker has bothered to venture; he's an open-minded guy as well. So in-all, he gets a big thumbs-up from me for this project and I have no doubt the final version will be more refined.
Well said.

Members online

Latest posts