• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay taboo words: first "Lost Worlds" and now "Irvin"?

Andrew

What a load of crap, surely the way Ebay bends rules they could work out a way of permitting the use of an historical and personal name in this context. It will only result in a lower price and less money for them as it's a common search term.

Can ALC prevent the use of the name when it's associated with the sale of an original Irvin or does it only apply to one of these dodgy repros or in all associations with a sheepskin flying jacket? It seems hard to imagine that they have rights to control the name retrospectively (before they bought the rights) especially as it's the Inventors name, but perhaps that what rights give you. Need a Lawyers opinion....

havocpaul

We've covered ALC's over-zealous protection of the Irvin name before and I can't see how they control the use when it applies to an original, but eBay bow-down to pressure so easily these days. Like I said previously, ALC need to put the same effort applied in stopping the name's use to actually getting their product made more accurately and honouring the original in a better way, they've been going down hill for years.....hand-warming pockets indeed!!

asiamiles

Andrew said:
Can ALC prevent the use of the name when it's associated with the sale of an original Irvin or does it only apply to one of these dodgy repros or in all associations with a sheepskin flying jacket?

The jacket linked to is not an original, and I doubt whether ALC would try to prevent sales of originals, but eBay can do whatever it likes and it's not like it has a brain to seperate the good from the bad. But like others here, I feel this kind of trademark protection is just utter nonsense and only makes you wonder about what kind of world we're living in nowadays.