• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couple of Aero 18775-P Questions

Jennison

I was wondering about the the collar snaps on the Aero 18775-P (man, I gotta get a life!), specifically about the male-snap back pieces under the lining and hidden, or through the lining with the back exposed. I looked at the Maestro’s (JC) 18775-P and the photo of the jacket lining shows the backs exposed, on top of the lining, but closeups of the neck lining has them under the lining (or maybe I can’t see them in the photo). Did Aero do this both ways?

Second, when I read that some examples have both brown and olive thread, was such use random on a jacket (as if spools were randomly used) or was each color used for specific areas of the jacket?

I hope I’m making sense….

Silver Surfer

Chappy gets it right with the snaps, aero does not. in fact, aero uses overly large nipple snaps for their pre war aeros. diff colored thread used on originals was random, ie: some had two colors of threads both brown and green,, some had just one color. this was through out the aero production from '42 onward. why so? another original a-2 mystery

Jennison

Thanks Vic. Regarding the snaps, the photos of the one 18775-P jacket on JC's website seems to show the interior lining shot with the snap-backs visible, on top of the lining, yet on close-up photos of the same jacket, I can't see those backs. Take a look.

With regard to the thread colors, when both colors were used on one jacket, was the use random on the jackets, or was say, olive always used on the collar, brown used on the sleeves, etc. In other words, was the the two-color use structured or did they just use whatever color they loaded the machine with when a spool ran out? In case of the latter, I guess it would be possible to have the thread color on one epaulet different than the other, or the sleeve seam one color and the cuff seam a different color.

I figured my earlier questions might have been rather cloudy and I apologize for that.

2BM2K

Thanks Vic. Regarding the snaps, the photos of the one 18775-P jacket on JC's website seems to show the interior lining shot with the snap-backs visible, on top of the lining, yet on close-up photos of the same jacket, I can't see those backs. Take a look.

Yes you are right the snap does disappear in the later photo's, well spotted!

Originals of this contract can be found with the snap back hidden and also with the snap riveted through the lining.