• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coming Soon - Watch the Skies (or the VLJ, as it were)

mulceber

1722702774136.png

So, as some of you may have suspected from the multiple hints that have been dropped over the last couple weeks (ok, that last one might just be a case of Jeff being Jeff), work is under way on a companion piece to "A Better Fighting Garment...", this time about the A-2 Jacket. We have put together a fantastic team, including @33-1729, @ZuZu, and @Lord Flashheart, and I am beyond excited by how it's coming together. Our aim is to build upon the successes of Eastman's A-2 Guide (now sadly out of print and becoming difficult to find) and present the most comprehensive and authoritative piece on the A-2 Jacket available anywhere. At present we are very close to being done, and we hope to get started rolling it out at some point in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, here's a sneak peak of one of the entries:

mulceber

J. A. Dubow Mfg. Co. W535-AC-27798​

Contract Awarded: 25 April 1942 (EA2G plate 25; WSC 969)
Date of Completion: August 1942 (WSC 969)
Quantity: 50,000 jackets (EA2G plate 25)
Leather type: horsehide/cowhide and goatskin (EA2G plate 25)
Stitch color: medium brown and olive drab
Zipper(s): Conceivably any that were current in early 1942. The following have been observed. They are listed in approximate order of the frequency with which they have been encountered:
General Comments:
Identifying/Distinguishing Details:

• Typical Dubow contract:
    • The most noticeable feature of the Dubow contracts is their small collar, with pointed tips that taper with a recognizable curve toward the back of the jacket.
    • Epaulets are wide as is typical for all Dubow contracts. Dubows had the “fattest” epaulets found on A-2s.
    • Dubows are normally seen with knits that were a distinctive purple shade. They are the only manufacturer to have knits of this color.
    • Wide rectangular x-box stitching on the epaulets (Acme Depot).
    • Strong scalloping on the pocket flaps.
    • Arm holes in the torso are wide and the sleeves tend to be baggy.
    • Unusual pocket placement: equidistant from the outer edge of the storm flap, rather than the zipper. The result is that, if you pay attention, the pocket placement is not symmetrical.
    • Dubow zippers were normally installed so that a lot of zipper tape exposed between the teeth and the leather of the chest panel. This photo illustrates it well. It’s not that dramatic, but compare it to this Aero.
  • The spec. label on this contract is noticeably larger than on other contracts, and is unique among spec. labels in that it actually has the size listed on it. Even if the label is missing, stitch holes may remain to identify the jacket.

Kennyz

View attachment 155443

So, as some of you may have suspected from the multiple hints that have been dropped over the last couple weeks (ok, that last one might just be a case of Jeff being Jeff), work is under way on a companion piece to "A Better Fighting Garment...", this time about the A-2 Jacket. We have put together a fantastic team, including @33-1729, @ZuZu, and @Lord Flashheart, and I am beyond excited by how it's coming together. Our aim is to build upon the successes of Eastman's A-2 Guide (now sadly out of print and becoming difficult to find) and present the most comprehensive and authoritative piece on the A-2 Jacket available anywhere. At present we are very close to being done, and we hope to get started rolling it out at some point in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, here's a sneak peak of one of the entries:
Wow - is this exciting!!! Outstanding work, gentleman!

Ken

mulceber

to quote burt, " OUTFIGGNSTANDING" is this going to be in an actual book form, with pics?

Still in thread form, but with tons and tons of pics.

*I should say we have no plans to turn it into a book at this point. Once we’ve gotten some feedback on how to improve it, (particularly in re: stuff like the zipper data, identifying features, that kind of stuff), we can take another look at whether it’s worth turning into a book. :cool:

Last edited:

johnwayne

As an ex printer I was for doing this years ago but even despite that digital printing now makes shorter runs/smaller quantities more viable than previously, it’s still quite an outlay and probably only possible with the finances that Gary Eastman had at the time. There is of course the John Chapman route of a DVD perhaps, maybe even try get him involved given his invaluable knowledge and expertise?

Lord Flashheart

Credit to you Jan for driving this project. My knowledge of A-2 is pretty limited but I've learnt a huge amount just reading through the drafts and helping to tidy and tweak it. I think we both felt it was important, having worked through USN jackets in BFG, to update the A-2 information here. But what a challenge. Not for the faint hearted.

I'm pretty sure the Forum won't be disappointed.

Spitfireace

J. A. Dubow Mfg. Co. W535-AC-27798​

Contract Awarded: 25 April 1942 (EA2G plate 25; WSC 969)
Date of Completion: August 1942 (WSC 969)
Quantity: 50,000 jackets (EA2G plate 25)
Leather type: horsehide/cowhide and goatskin (EA2G plate 25)
Stitch color: medium brown and olive drab
Zipper(s): Conceivably any that were current in early 1942. The following have been observed. They are listed in approximate order of the frequency with which they have been encountered:
General Comments:
Identifying/Distinguishing Details:

• Typical Dubow contract:
    • The most noticeable feature of the Dubow contracts is their small collar, with pointed tips that taper with a recognizable curve toward the back of the jacket.
    • Epaulets are wide as is typical for all Dubow contracts. Dubows had the “fattest” epaulets found on A-2s.
    • Dubows are normally seen with knits that were a distinctive purple shade. They are the only manufacturer to have knits of this color.
    • Wide rectangular x-box stitching on the epaulets (Acme Depot).
    • Strong scalloping on the pocket flaps.
    • Arm holes in the torso are wide and the sleeves tend to be baggy.
    • Unusual pocket placement: equidistant from the outer edge of the storm flap, rather than the zipper. The result is that, if you pay attention, the pocket placement is not symmetrical.
    • Dubow zippers were normally installed so that a lot of zipper tape exposed between the teeth and the leather of the chest panel. This photo illustrates it well. It’s not that dramatic, but compare it to this Aero.
  • The spec. label on this contract is noticeably larger than on other contracts, and is unique among spec. labels in that it actually has the size listed on it. Even if the label is missing, stitch holes may remain to identify the jacket.
can't wait for the Monarch description of which I have one.

Members online

Latest posts