• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can someone give me some info on the following M51 Jacket?

bladerunning

Specifically looking at this listing

I purchased this but I am wondering if it is a legit M51. I can't tell by the pictures if it is actually OG107 as you can see from the lighting. Does anyone know the differences between a 1952 version and a 1958? I picked up a pristine 1958 however at medium regular it is way too big. I seriously look like I'm a kid wearing my dad's jacket even though I fit the height and am even larger chest wise than the recommended. I understand that it is meant for layering but I could probably put a hoodie, sweater, and a long sleeve on and still not fill it out. I'm not a small guy by weight either @ 185 lbs.

Anyway I am not sure whether a small regular would be too small but if it wears anything larger than the recommended chest/height I think I can get away with it. These jackets are tough to size.

Erwin

Hey,

This ia a genuine M51, comparably early contract see the MIL-Spec inked information. There's no good copy of M65 or M51 field coats, even these made in Japan are so poorly made in comparison to genuine US Army jackets. Regarding the fit, if you don't want to have a baggy jacket, consider smaller size.

Cotton on some early to mid 50's jackets can be relatively soft and color is more a bit grey, on some specific contracts. However, these early or mid production M51 jackets are very comfy.

Erwin

In general a nice find M51 from the first production run (1st MIL-Spec) this one is from 1952 made by READING CLOTHING MFG. CO. What you can read from inked stamp on the lining, cool but nothing special regarding rarity ;)

To what contract ID from 1958 are you referring, it would be easier to help if you can confirm contract ID.

Last edited:

bladerunning

In general a nice find M51 from the first production run (1st MIL-Spec) this one is from 1952 made by READING CLOTHING MFG. CO. What you can read from inked stamp on the lining, cool but nothing special regarding rarity ;)

To what contract ID from 1958 are you referring, it would be easier to help if you can confirm contract ID.
Thanks for the info! I really like the green on the one I currently have which is my reluctance I guess since I wasn't sure how much variation in color there was between the years. Also on my initial link what do you think those white specks are on the jacket? The shop said that there are no tears, stains, or rips. I'm thinking it might be when the cotton sticks out a little and the dye comes off.

This is the one I previously purchased. This one has paper tags on the inside.

Erwin

There was not a lot of difference between color, just late M51 can be closer to OG107 as early M65 NYCO fabric is the reason why. But only for the late M51, not these indicated by you.
I prefer color of late M51 but these with still full cotton fabric, like this bellow - very rare jacket with a provenience to SF (4th POG's):
1724368974037.png

Not referring here to the one of the last M51 jacket produced in 1968 ;)
1724369196476.png

These more grayish with soften fabric are also nice but have very fragile cuff edges. This from Poshmark is not bad as well. I have a similar from this same manufacturer, it has a Prentice zipper, cool but fragile.
Screenshot_2024-08-23-01-17-19-077_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

If you are not lucky, your jacket can have "white" fading, caused by wrong washing. Usually these marks are not removable, when seller specified no stains it doesn't cover this, or you should ask before purchase ;)

bladerunning

Thanks for the info. Yes I noticed the Prentice zipper is not so good. I always have an issue if I am zipping it so I have to be careful with it.

Still searching for a clean small regular. Hard to find.

Erwin

No problemo, US field jackets are definitely my main interest and if you or any other forum members has some questions I'm more than happy to help!

BTW, Prentice is a fantastic zipper, but also has a bit fragile "slider-puller mount" - that's why often pullers can broken. But, still great zipper, use a candle on zipper this will improve how it operates.
IMG_20240823_194656.jpg

I have not bad M51 from 1961 for sale, but after recent issues with couriers - looks like that only collection in person can be possible ;) or it will stay inside storage like other not used stuff.
If you are US based finding a M51 in close to deadstock condition isn't a problem.

bladerunning

I was also wondering if you know how much length is taken off a short vs regular size? Does a short size affect the lower pockets i.e. make them smaller?

Erwin

Based on jackets (M51 which I had) these usually are a bit oversized and recommending to look for short one when you would like to have a more comfortable fit. Pockets have the same length, but as per specification you can always have small difference regarding +/- cuts.
About availability, EBay is the best place, but FB marketplace can be place for real bargain deal. It is super easy for US based person, only if you are looking for tent-size jacket it can be tricky.

Erwin

Hey Bladerunner,

A quick search and you can get a few bargain M51 on EvilBay now, like these...
1724447716976.png

1724447788897.png

This one has SF unit crest what makes jacket literally free plus a cool variant from 1963 with a unique pocket variant.
1724447863944.png

Usually a nice S size M51 should cost around 50/70.