• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Busy bodies!!

John Lever

Has anyone else noticed the increasing trend for items to be listed with a very low start price only to be taken down and relisted with an inflated price ? I can only assume that there is a core of well meaning busy bodies 'putting people right' about their items and killing the chance of a bargain or even a fair price. This has happened twice this week, once for a WW2 IRVIN and today for an Eastman B3.

Silver Surfer

yup, a coupla original a-2 sellers [*****] have done same. the diff is, they initially put their crappy a-2 up with a start of $600-$800, take it down, then put it up for $1200, take it down, and it shows up again at $1600. screwy wishful thinking, i reckon. oh, then theres the item that starts at .99, and lo and behold there are 25 bids going up into the stratosphere from the same buyer, who happens to have 10-20 feedbacks, usually from said seller.

Dr H

Yes, royally screwed up a 1941-2 Irvin deal earlier this week. Listing taken down following negotiations and an inflated 'dealer' price (not reflecting age, condition or size).
Sounded like somebody might have talked it up following the initial discussions...

a2jacketpatches

Many times when I list a very desirable item, I'll get several requests for a buy it now. I'm usually well aware of the going rate but bidders may assume I have no idea because any and all of my listings start very low, usually $9.99. So maybe this will prompt other sellers to research harder and make adjustments and cause the wishful thinking. There's half of us that look up completed listings for price reference, and the other half that does the simple search revealing a number of very high wish it prices. Not sure if it would be busy bodies trying to help the seller as much as the seller learning enough to be dangerous after listing. Fact is that when interest is shown, the vender automatically thinks more money. Buying face to face with them weekly, I've got several techniques in place to Jedi Mind fck them into a very neutral position. :D

Dr H

a2jacketpatches said:
I've got several techniques in place to Jedi Mind fck them into a very neutral position. :D

This is not the Irvin that you are looking for... :ugeek:

RayR

I too am innocent.
I find I get the best price on nice items if I start low (maybe 49.99) and let the bidding do it's thing. It usually gets just a few until the last day or 2 then starts going up, up, up. Often above what I would have set for a But-It-Now. Many people don't want to spend a big bundle so stay away from a high price, but they also don't want someone else to get "it" at such a low price so the bidding begins.

But I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.

John Lever

In the UK a busy body is someone who can't mind their own business so I was referring not to the sellers but to those people who contact them to tell them their item is valuable, but have no intention of buying it themselves.

ausreenactor

At least the majority can have a crack. It is better than the situation where the lowballer gets the first email in and saves himself some cash at the seller's expense. In this case eBay is being used as is intended. I had a situation last week where a forum member asked what a 1913 Lithgow hooked quillion bayonet would be worth. A couple of people described the item and suggested perhaps AUD$1000. I indicated that an item in that condition could fetch AUD$4-5K. A 'pm sent' was soon popped up by a 'peer'. I then stated I would offer $3500 as a start. Others added their input that they had seen similar items listed on Usedguns.com.au for $5000. The same person who sent the PM then discounted that post reinforcing that the listed item did not sell at the asked $5K. Then the swarthy guy via asked if my offer was serious. I was then contacted by the forum member who had disregarded advice to suggest the war memorial, contact an arms auctioneer or place the item on eBay with a hefty reserve and reduce the reserve as bidding dictated. Early the next day the person who posted the photos indicated that the item had been sold. I posted "How much did it go for?" The 'seller' then indicated that he had sold it for AUD$3100. I commented that I had offered $3500 and that $4-5K was realistic. I was contacted later in the day by the 'buyer' gloating he had just sold a similar item in significantly inferior condition for $5300 and another in relic condition for $2700. I then advised the 'seller' as a stark reminder that there are many out there who will take advantage.

In the case of people upping the price to a 'more realistic' start price (only in the event of no active bids on the item) then so be it. At least nobody has been duped in the process.

JDAM

Seems to be the norm. I've given up caring. I just view Ebay as the online equivalent of the back of some dodgy geezers' van.

a2jacketpatches

John Lever said:
In the UK a busy body is someone who can't mind their own business so I was referring not to the sellers but to those people who contact them to tell them their item is valuable, but have no intention of buying it themselves.

Means the same thing here, so I must be guilty of this on the other hand. Much in the same way I'll alert a seller that his item isn't what he thinks it is, or in most cases what he wants it to be. I don't spend all day policing Ebay but will do this if it falls in front of me.