• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Grant

Speaking of Ralph Lauren, here's my old RRL rough outs bought on sale several years ago. Supposedly RRL used a Pennsylvania boot maker who was contracted during the war to supply boots to the US Army. They've certainly held up well over the years with multiple dubbing.

RO.jpg

Drzdave58

Excellent choices on eBay. The one significant detail the new ones didn’t retain is the famous “V” cleat on the heel. A small metal wedge. This would slow down wear and is a very cool detail IMHO. Adds to the “click-clack”sound, too. If you get a pair, look for that. There are shoemakers who can restore them too, if needed.

View attachment 159075
So I scored a pair of late 70s I believe Florsheim Imperial Longwings today. I have been on a search for this shoe for awhile. A fellow on marketplace who doesn't live far from me found them at a thrift store and traded them to me for a vintage Ping putter I had. They are in amazing condition.
20240928_224740.jpg
20240928_224755.jpg
20240928_225334.jpg

Jennison

Nice score! Those are the ticket. There’s barely any color loss to the sole edges and they still shine. If it were I, I’d get the vamps good and damp (in the creases), put some shoe trees inside them for a couple of days, run some black edge-coat around the edges, and they’ll look nearly new. Then you can decide how you want to condition the leather, which as mentioned, already looks fabulous.

Drzdave58

Nice score! Those are the ticket. There’s barely any color loss to the sole edges and they still shine. If it were I, I’d get the vamps good and damp (in the creases), put some shoe trees inside them for a couple of days, run some black edge-coat around the edges, and they’ll look nearly new. Then you can decide how you want to condition the leather, which as mentioned, already looks fabulous.
Yes..good advice..they weren't very dirty so I just wiped them off with a damp cloth. Applied Venetian shoe cream touched up a couple spots with black Saphir cream. A good brushing. I kinda like the faded patina on the edging so I may leave them like that for now. The interior leather heel pads were peeling so I reglued them.
The interior of the shoes are hardly worn. Overall amazing condition for their age! I have shoe trees for them as well.

Jennison

Venetian shoe cream is a great choice. I use Bick 4 which absolutely does not darken leather and is nearly impossible to over use. It contains no wax so you can decide if and how you want to apply that.