• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book 'American Flight Jackets'

HPS

Hello everyone,

Today I bought a copy of "American Flight Jackets, Airmen & Aircraft" by Jon A. Maguire and John P. Conway. The edition is from 1994.
To my surprise, there is a personal dedication from Mr. Maguire on the fontispiece.
First of all: I don't want to sell the book.
I am not a collector, but a book person. I own an A2, soon probably two (I bought from Aeroleather during their sale).
Now my question:
Does this dedication have any value?
Thank you in advance

Hans-Peter
1000014440.jpg

P-47 thunderbolt

It's a very niche subject and I don't think that book is particularly esteemed amongst jacket collectors when compared to Gary Eastman's A2 Mannual, Aota's Full Gear or John Slemps Bomber Boys.
Like his other book 'Art of the Flight Jacket's - great book for pictures and I personally love it, but lacking information, often even missing a close up photo of the makers label and a few mistakes in there too.

Brettafett

Of all the flight jacket books I own, this and 'Art' get the most attention.
I know, Gary's book has the info and the details, but these books are visually more interesting. My favourite.
A book like this, but with two pages focused per jacket, with label, zipper and contract-specific detailed pics, and some details of the contract and history of the jacket/ pilot, would be incredible.

johnslemp

If you've been waiting to purchase your copy of Bomber Boys: WWII Flight Jacket Art, now might be a good time. For this Labor Day weekend only, free shipping in the USA is being offered. Get your copy of this award-winning book today!

By the way, there is a FREE downloadable Excel spread sheet on the website of all the jackets in the book. It has information (if known) on the owner's name/aircraft, jacket type, Drawing #, Contract #, Manufacturer and location, contract date, quantity, owner's unit, remarks, and the page where the jacket can be found in the book. Since it's in spread sheet format, it can be reformatted by unit, manufacturer, date, quantity, and museum where the jacket is located.

www.wwiibomberboys.com

#bomberboys #bomberjackets #wwii #militaryhistory #8thairforce #a2jacket #selfpublishedbook #designwinner #johnslempphotography #freeshippingusa #christmasgifts

Attachments

• Bomber-11.jpg
    Bomber-11.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Bomber-12.jpg
    Bomber-12.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Bomber-15.jpg
    Bomber-15.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Bomber-30.jpg
    Bomber-30.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Bomber-31.jpg
    Bomber-31.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Bomber-197.jpg
    Bomber-197.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Fancy Nancy Page.jpg
    Fancy Nancy Page.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • First Page.jpg
    First Page.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Front Cover & Dust Jacket.jpg
    Front Cover & Dust Jacket.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2024-08-30 at 9.39.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-30 at 9.39.31 AM.png
    214 KB · Views: 24

johnslemp

If you want to know more about the book, here's a link to a webinar done a couple of years ago with Keegan Chetwynd, the Executive Director at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
At one hour and 43 minutes, it might be a little long, but it should be worth it:

Enjoy!

Lord Flashheart

Of all the flight jacket books I own, this and 'Art' get the most attention.
I know, Gary's book has the info and the details, but these books are visually more interesting. My favourite.
A book like this, but with two pages focused per jacket, with label, zipper and contract-specific detailed pics, and some details of the contract and history of the jacket/ pilot, would be incredible.
Wouldn't it be nice if there was something like that on the Forum?

Members online

Latest posts