• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 jacket for wear with Army Greens

Sonoran_Tj

I'm on the hunt for a quality A2 jacket for wearing with my Army Greens Service Uniform. The Army has a jacket sold in Clothing Sales that, from what I can tell, is made by Excelled Sheepskin and Leather. Typically Army contract uniform items aren't the best available, so I'm looking at other manufacturers as an alternative. If Excelled makes a good jacket please say so, I can get one from Clothing Sales for about $500.

The Army procured jacket is a modern design (internal and handwarmer pockets). The reg stipulates goatskin leather, patch pockets with side entry, inside chest pockets, and an inside pen pocket. I figure I can get away with skipping the interior pockets and probably the side entry pockets as they're not obvious when worn. The material and color will need to match. I'd like a jacket made with good material and workmanship. Preferably a cotton liner and wool knits. Preference goes to a jacket I can get in a short length as well, I have short arms.

From a few days of research I've come to a few options.

MCS issued - Excelled - $500 (likely has a synthetic material knit, possibly a blend)
Cockpit USA - $500 (appears to be current USAF supplier)
AVI leather - $335
Christie's - $200
US Authentic - $475 (can add customization for side pockets/pen pocket)
G&B - $600

I'm not sure what other options exist. If I understand correctly, Army MCS, Cockpit USA, and G&B are a modern, baggier design; while Christie's, AVI, and US Authentic are a thinner shaped WWII style. I'm ambivalent about side pockets, but the pen pocket would be useful. I think I like the older thin cut better but I haven't seen any good side by side pictures.

Which of these jackets is a good choice as far as materials and workmanship goes? Or do you recommend a different manufacturer? My budget is up to $700 and whichever I choose needs to resemble the MCS jacket enough to wear it around others in uniform.

B-Man2

Stop!! Don’t pay $500 for an Excelled or a Cockpit A2 military issued jacket . They are all over eBay for about $200 to $300 new and unworn .

Sonoran_Tj

Good to know. The only advantage to buying those new is an easy return process if it doesn't fit right, but that isn't worth $300 to me.

I'm still trying to lock in which brand I'm going to buy. Are the military contract ones well made? Is the modern cut really a baggy, loose fit compared to the WWII contracts? A side by side picture of the same person wearing each type would be useful.

FtrPlt

Are you wearing Class B's often? If the answer is no, that's a lot of money to spend on a garment. And, depending on your rank, you don't want to stray too far from the official pattern lest you incur the wrath of your friendly CSM.

As for the fit -- today's soldiers are decidedly bigger/heavier/older than their WW2 counterparts and the patterns are sized accordingly.

B-Man2

These new issue A2’s are cut larger and fuller than the WWII jackets . I normally wear a size 46 or 48 and a size 42 fit me very trimly . I would suggest that you know your measurements and compare them to the measurements of any jacket that you’re thinking of buying . It will save you some money in the long run .

Sonoran_Tj

I don't wear them often right now, but I expect to in my next assignment. I'm a single Captain so the cost is bearable, and its enough rank to survive some side eye from a CSM. I do want blend in well enough, a russet brown WWII repro would not pass muster.

The fit issue makes sense. I'm fairly thin at 5'6" and 160 lbs. I don't want anything too baggy.

B-Man2

I don't wear them often right now, but I expect to in my next assignment. I'm a single Captain so the cost is bearable, and its enough rank to survive some side eye from a CSM. I do want blend in well enough, a russet brown WWII repro would not pass muster.

The fit issue makes sense. I'm fairly thin at 5'6" and 160 lbs. I don't want anything too baggy.
Just a thought .. why don’t you go to Clothing Sales and try on some of the jackets for size .
Once you have that nailed down you’ll be able to buy a NOS jacket at a better price off EBay or some other website .

Sonoran_Tj

Just a thought .. why don’t you go to Clothing Sales and try on some of the jackets for size .
Once you have that nailed down you’ll be able to buy a NOS jacket at a better price off EBay or some other website .
I tried that first, before making this thread. Unfortunately my local Clothing Sales doesn't carry the A2 jacket, the trench coat is the only cold weather uniform item they stock. One of the few downsides to being stationed in a warm place.

I can order from the AAFES website, and if it doesn't fit I can return it at the local store. It would be a bit tedious but I could do this to confirm a fit, then return it and order one on ebay.

B-Man2

I tried that first, before making this thread. Unfortunately my local Clothing Sales doesn't carry the A2 jacket, the trench coat is the only cold weather uniform item they stock. One of the few downsides to being stationed in a warm place.

I can order from the AAFES website, and if it doesn't fit I can return it at the local store. It would be a bit tedious but I could do this to confirm a fit, then return it and order one on ebay.
Best advise would be back to knowing your measurements . Either have someone take them or find a jacket that fits you the way you want and take these standard measurements.
Shoulders across upper back
Chest around under your arm pits
Arm length from top or shoulder joint down to wrist .
Back length from the nape of your neck down your back to about 4 inches below your belt line .
Once you know those measurements you’ll find that most people selling flight jackets use those for selling their jackets . Or you can
find the thread here that shows you how to measure jackets .

Jeff1966

I'm on the hunt for a quality A2 jacket for wearing with my Army Greens Service Uniform. The Army has a jacket sold in Clothing Sales that, from what I can tell, is made by Excelled Sheepskin and Leather. Typically Army contract uniform items aren't the best available, so I'm looking at other manufacturers as an alternative. If Excelled makes a good jacket please say so, I can get one from Clothing Sales for about $500.

The Army procured jacket is a modern design (internal and handwarmer pockets). The reg stipulates goatskin leather, patch pockets with side entry, inside chest pockets, and an inside pen pocket. I figure I can get away with skipping the interior pockets and probably the side entry pockets as they're not obvious when worn. The material and color will need to match. I'd like a jacket made with good material and workmanship. Preferably a cotton liner and wool knits. Preference goes to a jacket I can get in a short length as well, I have short arms.

From a few days of research I've come to a few options.

MCS issued - Excelled - $500 (likely has a synthetic material knit, possibly a blend)
Cockpit USA - $500 (appears to be current USAF supplier)
AVI leather - $335
Christie's - $200
US Authentic - $475 (can add customization for side pockets/pen pocket)
G&B - $600

I'm not sure what other options exist. If I understand correctly, Army MCS, Cockpit USA, and G&B are a modern, baggier design; while Christie's, AVI, and US Authentic are a thinner shaped WWII style. I'm ambivalent about side pockets, but the pen pocket would be useful. I think I like the older thin cut better but I haven't seen any good side by side pictures.

Which of these jackets is a good choice as far as materials and workmanship goes? Or do you recommend a different manufacturer? My budget is up to $700 and whichever I choose needs to resemble the MCS jacket enough to wear it around others in uniform.
Have you thought of getting your MCS jacket tailored to the fit you would like. It's not cheap but you would still be wearing an Army issue jacket any have the fit you like. I don't suggest ever getting the hand warmer pockets on any jacket used in military service, it can get you into trouble ( no one likes to see a soldier with his hands in his pockets). The inside pocket is assentual because you will find that nothing is going to fit in the outside ones without folding it up and still having problems snapping the pockets shut. The cotton liner is a good choice it's durable and can be replaced if it becomes worn. Never store or wear the the jacket on a normal basis around smokers, it soaks up that smell like a sponge and it's impossible to get rid of. I'm sure I you look around on the group you can find someone that can do the tailoring services for you. Go to a local tailor and get an exstincef measurement for your jacket to give to whoever you decide to have it done by. Get references and reviews for that person and your good to go.