• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 with breeches? Hap Arnold did it.

zoomer

This is the only picture I've ever seen of anyone wearing an A-2 jacket with the old high boots and breeches uniform.

Lt. Col. Henry Arnold, r, with unidentified officer and pilot of Douglas O-25 from 91st Observation Squadron based at The Presidio, San Francisco.
Taken in front of terminal at Swan Island Airport, Portland, Ore.
"AM-5" (Air Mail Route 5) on plane dates photo to early-mid 1934. Route 5 ran between Portland and Salt Lake City, Utah.
Click to enlarge (1800x1238)

Hap with his old friend and mentor Gen. Billy Mitchell around this same time.
3018956535_abc60a2792_o.jpg
Credit: Auburn University Libraries

Weasel_Loader

Great photo reference. Seems "Hap" liked to change it up a bit with regard to the collar being snapped or un-snapped. ;)

Jaydee

Well.....that man can wear any pants he wants. I don't think any of us could pull it off though.

(Just between me and you, he looks like he should be on a horse, not wearing it)

deand

Weasel_Loader said:
Great photo reference. Seems "Hap" liked to change it up a bit with regard to the collar being snapped or un-snapped. ;)

Yes, it really changes the look, too, doesn't it.

dean

zoomer

Jaydee said:
Well.....that man can wear any pants he wants. I don't think any of us could pull it off though.

(Just between me and you, he looks like he should be on a horse, not wearing it)
There probably was an order, eventually, that airmen weren't to fly in breeches. Doing so was already unusual by 1930.

I agree, the A-2 plus breeches look is anachronistic, if not Pattonesque. Arnold wasn't yet a general, who could change the uniform to suit himself, so the look had to go.