• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Australian made V505 w. AVG patches !?

bob capa

LtGustl said:
Andrew said:
This is yours I believe Servus?
Front.jpg

Hello from Vienna,

you are right, it's mine.
I posted several pictures of my V505 jacket on TFL.
You can compare the pics from my jacket with the one on eBay.

kindest regards

Hey there,

just a quick liner note on this subject. the V in V505 is for Victoria and 505 is the coded manufactures number. Im not sure which manufacturer but im sure someone with the resources could hunt it down. Ive seen A2's made in Australia by David Jones which was and still is a large department store here, also ive seen ww2 Australian 4 pocket wool tunics with the same V505 in them. Also Marine Corps ike jackets with V505 in them.

anyway

Bob

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bob capa said:
just a quick liner note on this subject. the V in V505 is for Victoria and 505 is the coded manufactures number. Im not sure which manufacturer but im sure someone with the resources could hunt it down.

Thanks Bob, here's an earlier thread on the V505:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1282&start=0

Andrew suspects that it's one, of two Melbourne makers (Lasicas, or Stagg Leathergoods), but there the trail ends ...

bob capa

cool yeah sorry for repeating im old and crazy

Stagg leathergood was a label used bu what is now known as Mars Leather (they still make jackets i have had them make a few motorbike jackets). They still have some 70's jackets with the Stagg label in them at the store. The same family still owns they business and from the horses mouth they did not contract during ww2.Mars is a 2 minute walk from my work

Other possible leather goods blokes ww2 vintage from Victoria is Louis Epstein, a big wartime mob,private purchase and otherwise(they now sell denim and streetwear)

also big for leather stuff (tack and clothing) was Mulders Canvas and Saddlery (still around today,different owners)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bob capa said:
cool yeah sorry for repeating im old and crazy

Snap !! ;)

I find the V505 story really interesting, we were discussing it back on the old VLJ forums, but making very little progress.

That's funny about the Mars/Stagg company, so many other makers proudly remember wartime contracts, that no one else can find. Andrew must have something on a label to make the connection ... Saturday, he should be back from the supermarket soon.