• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M455A by Colvinex

dujardin

hello,

i visit the link that Oose presented in another post

http://collections.naval.aviation.museum/Query.php

and i discover this one...
i know the M456 because i have one, i know that some cut the flight suit in two to have a jacket and pants apart.
but this M455A is new for me...

description on the link

Object Desciption Dark brown leather flight jacket, fully lined, electrically heated. Characteristics of jacket include inside snap pocket, large stand up collar, storm flap, brass zipper, leather belt, knit cuffs, and side pockets. Front right breast displays two connector snaps to supply external battery source for heat. Manufacturer's tag(s) read: Colvinex metal core yarn, electrically heated, Bureau of Aeronautics, U.S. Navy, Style CFN 24, Size 38, 24 Volts, Spec M455A, Contract N288s-36692, Serial No. 9316. Manufactured by Colvinex Corporation

and photos

webmediaCANJ5QMN.jpg

webmediaCAP2UDKA.jpg

bye byeeeeeeeee marcel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dujardin said:
i know the M456 because i have one, i know that some cut the flight suit in two to have a jacket and pants apart.
but this M455A is new for me...

Marcel, this appears to be a M456A suit that has been monkeyed around with.

Here's a complete suit currently on eBay ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Colvinex-Corp.-Navy ... 0318317440

If you compare spec. labels, the word SUIT has been trimmed from the example you posted.

dujardin

many thanks David,

i was misrouted by the description in the link telling it was an M455a.

it's really interesting to see how many conversion was made with this flight suit.

this is the first one i discover, i called her MOD1 in my personnal files
9373_1.jpg

9437_1.jpg

9490_1.jpg

this is the second i called MOD2, a little bit longer than MOD1 and i remember that the guy preserve the pants with suspenders and that jacket and trousers finished at a high price
ce2d_12.jpg

d0b7_12.jpg

e530_12.jpg

and this is the one i have, probably used by civilian, strap on collar are modified with jean's
m456.jpg

m456a1.jpg

what i really like to this suit/jacket, is the large and comfortable collar

so now, with the last one i discover yesterday, i'm at MOD3.

maybe a good conversion to realise for someone able to proceed.

byeeeeeeeeee marcel

dujardin

and this is the trousers that go with the jacket i call MOD1 (the shortest)

952e_1.jpg

9570_1.jpg

byeeeeeee marcel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Goodness .... you will have to be our resident expert on Colvinex suits, Marcel.

I looked them up, and although most were made by Colvinex, Bobrich Products also had a contract for the goatskin version. By the late 1940's, production continued, but now with a cloth shell ... only the suffix changed for these last two contacts, which were spec. number M456C.