• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for the pics of original Werber 33-1729

Lee-AVG

Hi folks,
i'm interested in the Werber 33-1729 A-2 flight jacket these days and looking for the pictures of original Werber 1729 (also pictures in action), so could anyone here tell me its links or post any pictures of them, i'll appreciate that,
many thanks!

PS: the A-2 flight jacket, which General Hap Arnold wore in July, 1934 for famous B-10 Bombers mission to Alaska was exactly a Werber 1729, right?
2207139735_588710eed1.jpg

Twomilitaryaviatorswithamanincivili.jpg

regards
Lee

zoomer

Notice the fit of Hap's jacket. It appears quite oversized except thru the shoulders.
Perhaps he found his usual size too binding and had to go a couple sizes up for freedom of movement.

Chandler

No tunneling at the wrists on those fine examples either. Good fits both, maybe they're not up a size, just the right fits early on in the piece of equipment's issue life?

Chandler

zoomer

If so, then it's a shame Eastman had to repro them in wartime-like fit, without bothering to study pix available in print!!

asiamiles

zoomer said:
If so, then it's a shame Eastman had to repro them in wartime-like fit, without bothering to study pix available in print!!
Didn't Eastman work from an original? If so, shouldn't really be a need to copy the fit from photos.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
Didn't Eastman work from an original? If so, shouldn't really be a need to copy the fit from photos.

Yes, you would think that they took the pattern from their original, and scaled the other sizes accordingly, though Eastman sizing does seem to be one down from original A-2's.

The jacket in the photo's is just odd, and over-sized in fit ... pockets wide apart, and the epaulets disappearing down the back.

Dr H

zoomer said:
Notice the fit of Hap's jacket. It appears quite oversized except thru the shoulders.
Perhaps he found his usual size too binding and had to go a couple sizes up for freedom of movement.

I may be naive here, but in view of his rank, wouldn't it be likely that the jacket was tailored to his spec./personal measurements, rather than simply taken off the rack?

asiamiles

Chandler said:
No tunneling at the wrists on those fine examples either.

Narrow sleeves tend not to tunnel, but you can tell the sleeves are quite long from the creasing.

Chandler

zoomer said:

I couldn't say, I don't own an ELC Werber -- of any size.

Didn't McCoy's also make a Werber at some time?

Chandler

Chandler

Dr H said:
I may be naive here, but in view of his rank, wouldn't it be likely that the jacket was tailored to his spec./personal measurements, rather than simply taken off the rack?

Doubtful when there were so many to be had at the QM, and not common practice -- it was the depression, and -- ranking or not, military officers didn't make a lot of money for such extravagances. OTOH, he could certainly have had his pick of try-ons -- not just handed a jacket from the QM Sgt.

Chandler

Chandler

asiamiles said:
Narrow sleeves tend not to tunnel, but you can tell the sleeves are quite long from the creasing.

My ELC Star has narrow sleeves, and the overall fit of the jacket is spot on -- but the sleeves tend to tunnel. :?

Chandler

Roughwear

Chandler said:
Dr H said:

Doubtful when there were so many to be had at the QM, and not common practice -- it was the depression, and -- ranking or not, military officers didn't make a lot of money for such extravagances. OTOH, he could certainly have had his pick of try-ons -- not just handed a jacket from the QM Sgt.

Chandler

This certainly makes sense Chandler. It appears to have been the same in RAF. In my collection I have some high quality Irvins which were worn by senior officers and I guess some selected the best available from the RAF stores. Service uniforms were privately purchased by RAF officers, but I doubt if they bought their Irvins in the same way from commercial suppliers.

Chandler

Lee-AVG said:

Another observation worth pointing out is the 2 different fits on 2 different officers here. Once again, there are so many variances to throw any definitive "fit" answer to the wind.

Also, it looks as if Hap has a sweater under his A-2 in this shot -- peeking out from under the jacket and a bit of a V collar showing at his tie. Could be why it's a larger jacket... yet the cuffs fit well.

Chandler

Falcon_52

My Eastman Werber looks and fits almost identically to the gentleman on the right of the photo right down to the long-ish epaulettes. I would guess that Arnold's jacket is one size up from his true size given the sleeve length and roomier torso.

Great pictures by the way...sorry to derail the original topic further.

Noel

Dr H

Chandler said:
Dr H said:

Chandler

Thanks for the info. Chandler, I stand corrected - I'd forgotten that it was '34 of course.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Chandler said:
Didn't McCoy's also make a Werber at some time?

Yes, Real McCoy's have been making the Werber 39-2951P for some years.

The 33-1729 contract is made under The Few label.

Chandler

deeb7 said:
Yes, Real McCoy's have been making the Werber 39-2951P for some years.

The 33-1729 contract is made under The Few label.

Anyone compared them to the ELC version?

Chandler

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Chandler said:
Anyone compared them to the ELC version?

I can't think of anyone owning The Few version, and RMNZ's biggest sellers are the Rough Wear, and Dubow.

There's a Real McCoy's on John's CD, and Allen/airfrogusmc owned a '39 Werber, but it was probably sold before the Eastman was born.

zoomer

I want you gents to critique the fit of my 1729.
It's a size 44 that's been wet-stretched about 3 times now and is at last starting to ease up in the armhole and shoulder areas. The lower sleeves and, of course, the collar sre still very close-fitting.
3577254156_3149f094c9.jpg
3576482047_abe8ce0223.jpg

I'm so happy to own this A-2, I'm beside myself! :lol: