• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EDIT timing function

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Folks,

The EDIT function is now on a timer - you have 15 minutes after you post to edit your post.

After that you'll have to contact the Moderator / Administrator to have something edited.

Cheers,
Bill French

CBI

I DON'T like this and won't post anymore if I don't have the right to edit.

this was/is a bad idea.

If I am going to write something that a billion people can read, then I want the right to edit.

Giving me 15 mins does not help.

what about for the "for sale" listings that hten sell, we can't add "sold"

what about adding a pic that goes with a post already done?

Seems only fair.

:twisted:

TankBuster

CBI said:
I DON'T like this and won't post anymore if I don't have the right to edit.

this was/is a bad idea.

If I am going to write something that a billion people can read, then I want the right to edit.

Giving me 15 mins does not help.

what about for the "for sale" listings that hten sell, we can't add "sold"

what about adding a pic that goes with a post already done?

Seems only fair.

:twisted:

Everything can be marked sold right in the thread.

This is a good move Bill. It's how every other place operates.

CBI

I don't belong to ANY other forums that don't alllow edits for at least a few months.

I don't see how this is a good thing. I read the thread that prompted - WTF?

greyhound52

Agree with CBI I think we should extend the edit function beyond 15 m to some reasonable amount of time. To do what you ask Bill about sending you a message to change an item to sold is really a pain. Particularly when one receives muliple PMs asking about an item. Is there anyway to leave the for sale area with the ability to edit and the rest closed to a certain time frame or is it all or nothing?

tater

CBI makes a good point WRT sale posts. The ability to edit the subject to reflect a sold condition is fairly useful.

A time limit is not a bad idea, but it should be longer, IMHO. I've had this problem in game modding threads (I modify Silent Hunter 4, Wolves of the Pacific). I update a mod, but cannot change the subject to reflect the new version number. It's sorta frustrating.

I think it needs to be in days.

Roughwear

I'm also concerned that having to contact Bill or one of the mods each time an item is sold or needs amending is simply creating extra work for them. Exempting the Buy/sell section would be the solution.

watchmanjimg

I think all we've accomplished here is to complicate the situation. Couldn't the Tamoko thread simply be dismissed as an isolated incident?

This just doesn't strike me as an ongoing concern, and already the solution only appears to create more problems. Just my opinion.

CBI

yes, just leave it (the forum) alone.

I read the Tomoko post and its a lot of hot air over nothing.

TankBuster

CBI said:
I don't belong to ANY other forums that don't alllow edits for at least a few months.

I respect your opinions on this forum, and would hope you would stick around if this were to change. I personally think it would be for the better of the forum.

Here were my thoughts:

This has been a issue before. A knowledgeable member gets upset with someone on the forum and before quitting, deletes all his posts. In doing so he makes every thread that he commented on worthless. (I'm not referring to this latest issue).

Another thought was, say someone were to sell a jacket and modify information after a deal was made, how would anyone ever know. Or a price for that matter. It has not happened, but with membership growing daily, it's not the same small group of guys that is has been for so many years.

It would also maybe make people think a little more before they fire something off on the forum knowing that it will stick and can't be edited days, months, or more later.

The USMF forum uses the 15 minute rule. There are almost 10,000 members there, and it works well for them.

philip.ed

What a stupid idea LOL :lol:

Seriously, do a forum poll on it. The fairest way IMHO.

I mean, what's best; an unhappy forum or a happy forum? Need I say more?

tater

Some forums also automatically append text about the timing of the last edit on a post, so you can at least tell if it has been altered (ever). I can see a time limit, but it needs to be substantial, like many days, or a month or something.

watchmanjimg

TankBuster said:
CBI said:

I respect your opinions on this forum, and would hope you would stick around if this were to change. I personally think it would be for the better of the forum.

Here were my thoughts:

This has been a issue before. A knowledgeable member gets upset with someone on the forum and before quitting, deletes all his posts. In doing so he makes every thread that he commented on worthless. (I'm not referring to this latest issue).

Another thought was, say someone were to sell a jacket and modify information after a deal was made, how would anyone ever know. Or a price for that matter. It has not happened, but with membership growing daily, it's not the same small group of guys that is has been for so many years.

It would also maybe make people think a little more before they fire something off on the forum knowing that it will stick and can't be edited days, months, or more later.

The USMF forum uses the 15 minute rule. There are almost 10,000 members there, and it works well for them.

This issue is certainly nothing to fight over and I wouldn't leave the forum regardless of the final outcome, but I don't recall too many other instances of this on VLJ. If there have been, it's hardly an epidemic.

There's no question that we've had a few well-known personality conflicts on the forum, some of which have resulted in the departure of certain individuals (be it voluntary or otherwise). While regrettable, is it really so important to preserve whatever pearls of wisdom they may have left behind at the expense of the free speech of the remaining members--who have demonstrated their ability to play well with others as adults should?

The overwhelming response to the thread that prompted all of this was that the forum is fine just the way it is. We've now taken a 180-degree turn from this philosophy. Our esteemed colleague Johnwayne stated it best: if it ain't broke, don't try fixing it.

CBI

thanks. those are good points but overall, I have not seen too much of this on VLJ.

Most of the time, my time is REALLY limited to be on VLJ, I don't have the time (or don't want to take it) to do detailed notes before I post. This is for chatting as well as for detailed conversation (which there is little of BTW - detailed stuff).

I am also a bad typist and sometimes don't notice my screw-ups until much later.

I also see nothing wrong with going back and changing a post if your views change.

If someone deleats their portions of a post and this then messes up the discussion, so what really? It does not happen too often.

I find this forum is working pretty well (as far as the technical workings of it) right now so I don't see the need to change the edit options. Its never going to be 100% to everyone's liking.

I know this is a differnt issue, but I would much rather see more people posting about jackets that us talking about this current issue. I think the lack of interesting posts by more than a handful of members is the real "problem" here. Also, some neat posts get little response which probably prevents some for taking the time to post.

Whatever you all decide.

TankBuster

I agree. Nothing to argue over. I'll be here regardless either way. We all love VLJ, and want to keep it as great as it has always been. I'm sure Bill will come up with the right solution. ;)