• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Randolph Flying Field April 1938 Big pictures

Falcon_52

Great pictures! I hope my Werber A-2 looks like that someday; it's getting closer every year. Thanks, Stu.

Noel

deand

The sleeves on that Werber look a bit short in some of those shots. The A-1 looks very nice. Great pics as always! Thanks!

dean

dmar836

Awesome. Sleeves look fine to me!
I do think Chaney's goggles have the largest pad I've seen!

Dave
KC

zoomer

Brig. Gen. James E. Chaney was then Acting Assistant Chief of the Air Corps and CO of the Randolph Field training center.

Comparing these pix to the group from Camp Skeel, Mich. in 1940, I'm guessing there were no regs as to whether the A-2 was to be under the flight suit or over it. The decision may have related to climate at ground level - can you be messing about on the flightline in full kit without overheating? Easier in Michigan than Texas in any season.

Also - that lieutenant is wearing a Werber no doubt (no blousing at the waist). But is it a '33 or the elusive '36?

Falcon_52

It's difficult to tell from those photos but it sure looks like a '33 Werber. The epaulette stitching and overlapping inner sleeve seam would place it in the '33 camp. Then again, I've never seen pictures of a '36 Werber so maybe they had those features in common.

Noel

Weasel_Loader

I don't see any seem on the sleeve end. Don't see how this could be a '33 Werber. Am I missing something?

Those are great photos and good reference. Thanks for posting these. ;)

zoomer

Weasel_Loader said:
I don't see any seem on the sleeve end. Don't see how this could be a '33 Werber. Am I missing something?
The Werber 39-2951P had the topstitching at the waist, but NOT at the cuffs. (See Good Wear's repro here.)
But this was a little early for that contract to be in the pipeline - never mind for it to look so well broken in.

The Werber 36-1112P - or their 38-205, which I just now learned about - well, those who know ain't talkin'.

I suppose it's possible that no examples survive of some of these 30s contracts.
That far east site that has the A-2 label pix didn't have a shot for 38-205.

Weasel_Loader

So we would have to assume that since the photo was taken in '38; the A-2 in the photo is either '36 Werber or that crazy '37 HLB? That is unless there is some other mystery A-2 contracts out there we don't know about. No doubt, we're all nuts just thinking about this stuff. :lol:

zoomer

FWIW, here's The Few's repro of the HLB 37-3891P.
Topstitched waist - but not cuffs. No blousing at the waist either. What do y'all think?

That is unless there is some other mystery A-2 contracts out there we don't know about. No doubt, we're all nuts just thinking about this stuff. :lol:

Possible other contracts about which all information has been destroyed:
Pastrami Bros. Inc. 34-314
Dobbin Apparel 35-23
I. Kvetch & Sons 35-108
Hevy-Dooty Glove & Apron 36-927
A.C. Greer Co. 36-1113P
Naugatuck Rendering & Glue 37-1689J
:lol:

Falcon_52

I think Danny is right. It looks like there is no topstitching on the sleeve end. I missed that before. Maybe '36 is right then. Of course, zoomer may be on to something with the forgotten Pastrami Brothers order number! :)

Noel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Falcon_52 said:
I think Danny is right. It looks like there is no topstitching on the sleeve end. I missed that before. Maybe '36 is right then.

The '33 contract is pictured in Full Gear, with thumbnails of the details. The pockets are quite small, but it all seems to match, until I notice no top stitching ... I guess the knits have been replaced.

So yes, a '36 ... or a '33 with the sleeves shortened.

zoomer

Speaking of contracts - what's the P stand for? Quite a few prewar contracts had Ps, as well as a few wartime ones (RW 42-1401P, Aero 42-15142P).

zoomer

'splain please...

If the govt. Passed on (rejected) a contract, why would there be any garments with a P?

If the govt. had to inspect and Pass (approve) a contract, why would there be any garments without a P?