• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Young men enlisting in USAF 1951 & Bell XP-59

fraazierjo

I was one of these guys when I enlisted in 1956 - leather "bomber jacket", DA, and the same look. I think our WWII AF uncles and their flight jackets were the inspiration.

Andrew

fraazierjo said:
I was one of these guys when I enlisted in 1956 - leather "bomber jacket", DA, and the same look. I think our WWII AF uncles and their flight jackets were the inspiration.

Thanks for letting us know, cos I was wondering exactly that and their reasons for joining when I saw these shots. There are a lot of Mil inspired civvy jackets there. Other than having relations in WWII, did you have any other reasons for joining?

fraazierjo

Reasons? Well, I couldn't afford college and I had had uncles in the AF during the war when my fascination with the miltary began. They all had these really good looking leather jackets and the aura of heroism they implied. I was discharged honorably two years later as a "security risk" (i.e. left wing political views in the '50's!) but got the GI Bill and went on to Bachelo and Masters degrees.