• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Australian made V505 w. AVG patches !?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
LtGustl said:
It looks like an Australian made V505, with AVG patches.

Thanks for the link, Servus, it certainly has the look, and features of a V505 ... without a label, I guess it will be bought for the patches.

Andrew

If anyone could identify one of these I guess you could Servus, and it looks original, though with regard to it being a V505 it seems very unlikely that someone heading to Burma at that time would have passed this way first but not impossible I guess. I imagine that V505 would only have been making A-2 clones once they had a sample to work from and that would have been from '42 onwards when the 5thAF arrived here.

Having said that though i did find this;
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... opic=21662

Don't forget, if you ever get tired of looking after that Aussie A-2 i'll be happy to take it :lol:

SuinBruin

No "Judd" listed on the AVG rosters.

http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/tiger9.htm

http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/camco.htm

I'm no expert on the Flying Tigers, but my understanding is that there is a big difference between the AVG and later iterations of the FT... one could be a member of the 14th AF and thus something of a "Flying Tiger," but the AVG was the AVG and ceased to exist once the 14th AF came into existence. If you weren't a Flying Tiger before July 4, 1942, then you weren't in the AVG....

Roughwear

If this is an Aussie V505 then it was made in 1943-4, after the AVG existed. It's just another example of someone trying to cash in on a jacket with an alleged AVG link. I wish sellers would stop using Flying Tigers to help sell their jackets. There is an example of a 14AF CBI Perry on Ebay, which has Flying Tiger in the title.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
If this is an Aussie V505 then it was made in 1943-4, after the AVG existed. It's just another example of someone trying to cash in on a jacket with an alleged AVG link. I wish sellers would stop using Flying Tigers to help sell their jackets.

Without a label, no one can positively identify the jacket as a V505. The seller has several interesting listings, with well written, thorough descriptions .... I don't see that he's doing anything wrong.

Roughwear

I have chacked out the vet and he was not in the AVG. Unlike some others on Ebay this seller may not be trying to deceive anyone but I'm curious as to when the AVG patch was applied. David, the seller isn't doing anything wrong, but if he's a well-informed collector he would know about the AVG and that this jacket was not worn by a member of the original group. So in this case, it's what is not said that is revealing.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
I have chacked out the vet and he was not in the AVG .....

Okay, but the seller isn't making that claim, he's describing the jacket as it is, and potential buyers will draw their own conclusions. The jacket looks to be as found, and doesn't appear to be messed with .... he certainly isn't a Colvinex.

Andrew

Whatever it is it is certainly old. Those patches really look like they've been attached an awful long time and what a shame about the general condition of the leather.

The leather colour, texture, knits pocket flap, collar shape and lining certainly has the look of the 505. Really it's a dead ringer. Zip's missing it's puller, but it still may be possible to identify it as a "Zipp" zipper if requested.

This is yours I believe Servus?
Front.jpg

fishmeok

I'm not up on 14 AF stuff, but is it possible that this is an original 14th jacket and patch with "AVG" painted on the patch?
Cheers
Mark

SuinBruin

fishmeok said:
I'm not up on 14 AF stuff, but is it possible that this is an original 14th jacket and patch with "AVG" painted on the patch?
Cheers
Mark
I thought that might be the case too, but the nametag also has "AVG" inscribed on it, and the spacing makes it appear as though it was applied at the same time the name was.

LtGustl

Andrew said:
Front.jpg

Hello from Vienna,

you are right, it's mine.
I posted several pictures of my V505 jacket on TFL.
You can compare the pics from my jacket with the one on eBay.

kindest regards

Dr H

Andrew said:

Gents, with apologies - just a quick run off topic.
'Servus' is an informal greeting often used in Austria and Southern Germany/Bavaria, rather than the poster's name.
Cheers
Ian

Andrew

Dr H said:
Andrew said:

Gents, with apologies - just a quick run off topic.
'Servus' is an informal greeting often used in Austria and Southern Germany/Bavaria, rather than the poster's name.
Cheers
Ian

Thanks Ian, I actually suspected this but I blindly followed... Dave's lead.... :oops:

Apologies LtGustl!

Dr H

Now then...now then...calm down...calm down... :shock:

Don't want another Bledisloe cup ruck... ;)

Roughwear

Peter Graham said:
Roughwear said:
I wish sellers would stop using Flying Tigers to help sell their jackets.
As bad as sellers mentioning the dambusters every time they sell an Irvin, eh ! ;)

True. I know one who used to do this when selling an Irvin! :lol: ;)