• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zipper Slider Replacement

Maverickson

Has anyone within this forum attempted to replace a zipper slider? This Willis and Geiger M-422A that I recently purchased obviously has a nonoriginal style replacement brass Talon zipper assembly.

M-422ATalonZipper.jpg

I would keep it as it is but then this fine jacket would be lacking the traditional leather puller that would normally attach to a bell shaped tab. I have found a older brass bell shaped slider and was thinking about replacing the existing rectangular brass Talon with this double marked brass Talon slider with the bell shaped tab.

TolonZipperSlider.jpg

In looking at the existing zipper assembly on this M-422A there is a brass stop which is exposed at the top of the zipper assembly and visible in the top photograph. My thought was to use a dremal tool to weaken this brass stop and removed it completely. Then find a resonable facsimile brass stop that could then be used as a replacement by simply recrimping it.

Does anyone have any input as to whether this would be the right method of achieving my goal short of replacing the whole thing?

Thanks, Dave

watchmanjimg

No! The easiest method is usually to pry the box or bottom stop open with a screwdriver, remove it, replace the existing slider, and replace the box with a pair of pliers or perhaps by tapping it with a hammer. Why not post a scan of the bottom of the zipper so we can see how it looks. Many of the GI zippers can be serviced in this manner.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
No! The easiest method is usually to pry the box or bottom stop open with a screwdriver .......

I know you disagreed with me last time I suggested it, Jim .... and I admit to having never tried your method.

BUT ... it's just so easy to ease open the two brass C stops at the top with a knife, switch the sliders, replace the stops, and crimp closed.

watchmanjimg

I must confess that I've never tried your method either, David, and it may be just as easy but it just seems easier simply to remove the one part and replace it after exchanging the sliders. Whatever works is fine I suppose.

kevlarg

deeb7 said:
watchmanjimg said:
No! The easiest method is usually to pry the box or bottom stop open with a screwdriver .......

I know you disagreed with me last time I suggested it, Jim .... and I admit to having never tried your method.

BUT ... it's just so easy to ease open the two brass C stops at the top with a knife, switch the sliders, replace the stops, and crimp closed.

I have used this method. It works and it is much easier than one might think to put the c stops back on. Also you only have to remove one c stop to get the slider off.

Grant

Obviously since the replaced zipper in this jacket doesn't have the earlier "C" clamp at the top of the zipper that is not an option. I don't think it's possible to remove a Talon stopped box like it is a Conmar, so I'm not sure what the options are here to replace the slider.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Grant said:
Obviously since the replaced zipper in this jacket doesn't have the earlier "C" clamp at the top of the zipper that is not an option.

I just meant the top stops, perhaps they are U shaped ... anyway, they seem to be there, and without them the slider will slide right off.

And Kev, yes, of course ... just the one will do it. :lol:

jeroen

I had to do it a couple of times now and always went for the top method. I actually ended up knackering the c clamp one time and just left the zipper without it. It never bothered me cause when do you ever zip up all the way to your chin? (unless your mom still dresses you?)

Maverickson

jeroen said:
I had to do it a couple of times now and always went for the top method. I actually ended up knackering the c clamp one time and just left the zipper without it. It never bothered me cause when do you ever zip up all the way to your chin? (unless your mom still dresses you?)

Jeroen is right! It took me no longer than five minutes to complete this uncomplicated procedure! I simply cut off the exposed zipper stop at the top one side of the zipper tape. Then pulled the old zipper slider out and put this new bell shaped pull tab Talon slider back in. The seller of this Talon replacement slider gave me another stop to replace the one just removed. Check out the difference in the before and after photos.

M-422ATalonZipper.jpg
M-422ATalonTabed.jpg

Buy doing this procedure in this fashion it alowed my M-422A to regain the original look of the jacket. In addition, with the installation of this bell shaped pull tab I was able installed a leather pull as per the original. This was all accomplished in minutes and without professional help and with minimal effort while not monkeying up a slider and hoping for success.

M-422AFront2.jpg
WGM-422A.jpg

All the best,

Dave

jeroen

Thats fantastic news Dave, and a real cool looking jacket too. So much better with a proper slider too. Its nothing any normal person is ever going to notice when you wear it but you'll know its there and that is what counts ;)
While you're at it, why not have the cuffs replaced? They look like they've been replaced by some non-spec stuff. If you buy the proper knitts from the bay and take some time to search for a good tailor it will be worth its while and probably not that expensive either.