• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zipper non seperating

Willy McCoy

Is it possible to replace the slider on a non separating zipper? The Crown zipper on my L-2 pocket zipper is quirky to an extreme. I have tried to use pliers to narrow the gap at the front of the slider with no luck.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
It should be easy, just remove the top stops ... you could probably open them with your thumb nail. Toyo sell replacements, but they are expensive.

Willy McCoy

Hey thanks !! I focused primarily on crimping the gap towards the front of the slider and got the gap narrowed, so I took a heavy butter knife and lightly inserted it into the rear of the zipper (both sides) and the zipper is almost repaired. I'll just tune it in better and apply graphite. It would seem the rear of the zipper wasn't inline with the front. Now it is even.

Willy McCoy

deeb7 said:
It should be easy, just remove the top stops ... you could probably open them with your thumb nail. Toyo sell replacements, but they are expensive.

I wasn't sure if the zipper teeth would have to be meshed and the slider place at the spot of separation if a replacement slider was to be used and/or if the slider could be set just anywhere with the teeth disengaged (of course roughly placed at an equidistant location).

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Yeah meshed, and with a bit of fiddling the replacement should go straight back on.