• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zip not closing even though complete/undamaged

a2 fng

Just picked up a very rare early British cloth jacket that has a brass(i think zip)on it.

Zip looks intact/undamaged with no missing teeth etc but for some reason will not close-it just splits open every time which is frustrating :evil: :evil:

Is this a common problem or does anyone have any tips or quick fixes please?

Many Thanks

watchmanjimg

I've had this happen before, albeit with a new jacket that I chose to send back rather than attempting to fix it myself. I believe you're referring to a problem with the "gap setting," which presumably can be corrected by slightly crimping the slider.

asiamiles

a2 fng said:
watchmanjimg said:
I've had this happen before, albeit with a new jacket that I chose to send back rather than attempting to fix it myself. I believe you're referring to a problem with the "gap setting," which presumably can be corrected by slightly crimping the slider.
Yep,that was the problem :D

Should have checked Google earlier :oops:

2 second fix-now good as new ;) ;)

http://tailoring.suite101.com/article.cfm/zipper_repair
You'd think they could have offered bigger photos to illustrate! Anyway, I have a B-15B on which the zip comes open after being zipped up. I'm glad to hear it may not need replacing...fingers crossed a little pressure with a pair of pliers will do the trick.

asiamiles

Tried it. Tightened it a little but still the same problem. Tried tightening it a little more and...it broke! :x

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
... Tried tightening it a little more and...it broke! :x

So I guess it's a little late to be giving you advice.

I like to use a couple of small pieces of wood (iceblock stick), as well as protecting the slider, it evens out the pressure.

Works best with nickel, or brass ... some modern metal sliders are plated zinc alloy, they look okay, but snap like toffee.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
I like to use a couple of small pieces of wood (iceblock stick), as well as protecting the slider, it evens out the pressure.

Works best with nickel, or brass ... some modern metal sliders are plated zinc alloy, they look okay, but snap like toffee.
This was a Buzz repro spring loaded Crown.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
This was a Buzz repro spring loaded Crown.

Oh okay ... cast aluminum, so they break easily like the zinc alloy, the puller snapped off on mine.

Buzz know this, and they have a stock of replacements, but they'll be expensive.

a2 fng

asiamiles said:
Tried it. Tightened it a little but still the same problem. Tried tightening it a little more and...it broke! :x

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: sorry to hear that-to be honest i was worried that mine might also snap but to be honest i had nothing to loose-guess i was just lucky :cool:

asiamiles

I just purchased a Buzz Crown slider on Yahoo.jp for 1000yen. Fingers crossed the problem was only the slider, but if this one doesn't work I'll know the problem lies elsewhere and the entire zip will need replacing.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
... but if this one doesn't work I'll know the problem lies elsewhere and the entire zip will need replacing.

That was a good deal, and it will work fine ... there's nothing else it can be, it's the only moving part.