• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zip for Roughwear b15a

Carl

Could anyone help me in locating the correct zip for the above named jacket please ? .
Im specifically looking for the left-hand side part ( male)
Carl

Carl

received_10156248852389354.jpeg

Carl

Hi if it’s a size 5 you could cheat and find a modern brass toothed YKK in the same shade and there’s a good chance it will mesh and work. Alternatively MASH Japan sell complete zips including Conmars as does izavailable an eBay seller https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/112936529930
Its the color of the tape thst seems to be the problem .I have contacted MASH earlier in the year , and they couldn't help !
So what to do ???

Silver Surfer

get one from the eb guy,, and color it with acrylic [thin application] paint to match. you may even want to soak the zipper in a diluted bleach bath to get rid of some of the green, before painting. if your paint work ends up shiny, work it down with 600 wet dry emery, a coupla passes. will the color match perfectly? it may be close if you are good with these kinda things. also, as you may already know,, the left side of a zipper on an original anything wwll is rarely, if ever a match for the right side due to exposure and sun. point being, dont worry about a perfect match.

Carl

Thanks for the tip silver surfer ! Sounds like somthing even i could manage ! ;)

robrinay

Mash sell felt tip pens in a variety of colours to dye zipper tapes. Perhaps after bleaching that would give a better ‘texture’ than acrylic paint?

Geeboo

Hi Carl,
1) I think the original zip for these B-10 are brass teeth & black-painted Conmar. As time worn, those black paint worn off & exposed the copper base.
2) Mash now offer a Bell shaped zipper of #5 & with correct length and top stop. So, size & fit is solved - But is Olive in color.
3) use that male part for replacement; 2 things need to be sorted out. Color of tape and color of the teeth

3.1) Color of tape - The color of tape should be brown instead of the current only available olive color tape from Mash. I suggest BEFORE sewing into the garment - use 1:10 bleach water for a 5 minute interval, to bleach it to the same color of your existing tape. FYI. enclosed is the result of a 1:5 bleach water, 15 minutes bleach result [Brushing is essential to make it even out]. I think 1 session of 5 minutes, maxi. 2 [10 min] - 3 is sufficient. So, a 5 min. interval is a safe bet against over bleaching - for a US$60 zipper ! Use paint brush to apply rather than soaking.
3.1.1) Add some diluted brown paint "water" during the process - just treat it as painting an oil painting, now the canvass is the olive cotton tape - bleach it down and add back some diluted brown acrylic paint & brush & more dilute again. More ideally, use water - based brown cloth dye. IMO - that would come very close to the original color.
20170316_140913.jpg

3.2) The color of the teeth of Mash zip is shiny brass [NOS]. I suggest to use metal polish to slight polish the female side of the tape to make it more shiny again - yes more shiny. Then, this will provide a more near start point for both sides of the zipper to tarnish.
3.2.1) Maybe after a few month of natural oxidation, you can consider to partially blackened the brass part of the zipper. mesh the tip of the round brush to almost no black paint in order to achieve the fainted appearances. BUT it is artistic type of thing which needs patient & skill. OR just leave it for natural oxidation then.
Hope this help

Attachments

• 20171221_122203.jpg
    20171221_122203.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 377
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    901 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:

Silver Surfer

if you wish to blacken your brass conmar, use gun bluing on it. one pass dulls the brass. two passes will make it spotty dark, three, four, ec. finally, you can make a brass zipper dead black with gun bluing.

A2 B3au

Hi Carl,
1) I think the original zip for these B-10 are brass teeth & black-painted Conmar. As time worn, those black paint worn off & exposed the copper base.
2) Mash now offer a Bell shaped zipper of #5 & with correct length and top stop. So, size & fit is solved - But is Olive in color.
3) use that male part for replacement; 2 things need to be sorted out. Color of tape and color of the teeth

3.1) Color of tape - The color of tape should be brown instead of the current only available olive color tape from Mash. I suggest BEFORE sewing into the garment - use 1:10 bleach water for a 5 minute interval, to bleach it to the same color of your existing tape. FYI. enclosed is the result of a 1:5 bleach water, 15 minutes bleach result [Brushing is essential to make it even out]. I think 1 session of 5 minutes, maxi. 2 [10 min] - 3 is sufficient. So, a 5 min. interval is a safe bet against over bleaching - for a US$60 zipper ! Use paint brush to apply rather than soaking.
3.1.1) Add some diluted brown paint "water" during the process - just treat it as painting an oil painting, now the canvass is the olive cotton tape - bleach it down and add back some diluted brown acrylic paint & brush & more dilute again. More ideally, use water - based brown cloth dye. IMO - that would come very close to the original color. View attachment 4382

3.2) The color of the teeth of Mash zip is shiny brass [NOS]. I suggest to use metal polish to slight polish the female side of the tape to make it more shiny again - yes more shiny. Then, this will provide a more near start point for both sides of the zipper to tarnish.
3.2.1) Maybe after a few month of natural oxidation, you can consider to partially blackened the brass part of the zipper. mesh the tip of the round brush to almost no black paint in order to achieve the fainted appearances. BUT it is artistic type of thing which needs patient & skill. OR just leave it for natural oxidation then.
Hope this help
Love this man's knowledge