• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zielinski 37J1 copy

SuinBruin

After years of looking and waiting for my ideal 37J1 repro, I've finally found one. I first fell in love with the 37J1 design for its vintage look -- trim, simple, elegant. It filled the niche of a cloth flight jacket without resorting to mouton collars or nylon. It is similar in some respects to a tanker jacket, but with a narrower, trimmer profile more suited to my proportions.

The problem with the 37J1 is that it's not very common, and repros are hard to come by. I also wanted one without the USN stencil on the front -- I like vintage flight jackets but don't want to broadcast a military association I don't have and haven't earned.

When John snagged an original 37J1 on eBay it looked like my goal was well within sight -- I could get a custom copy from my favorite jacket maker. Unfortunately John had a lot of trouble sourcing the right Bedford cord material for the jacket. However, he did loan it to Real McCoy's to make a copy, and they obliged for the Japanese market. You can find some of them still available on Rakuten. I still wanted a GW 37J1, though -- the RM version had the USN stencil and my own personal preference was (and is) to buy from John if possible. But when a US retailer obtained a very limited supply of RM 37J1s without the stencil I thought it best to strike while the iron was hot and take one lingering problematic project off of John's plate.

I bought a size 40 based on overall dimensions and arm length, thinking I could swap it for a 42 if it was too small. As the photos show it's a wartime or "Japanese" trim-fitting 40. The jacket is more snug than I would like but the size 42 sold even before I received the 40. So I'm stuck with it. It's not bad on me, just a touch short, and somewhat tight across the chest. The back is roomier and I have a nice range of motion while wearing it. I can fit a trim chambray or other light button down shirt under it, but nothing heavier.

The jacket is well-made, with RM's usual attention to detail. John thinks it's a great copy of his original. I'm reluctant to endorse RM based on what I've heard about how they do business, but I can't deny that the jacket is nails. I love it.

Without further ado...
IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMGP0526.jpg

IMGP0527.jpg

Dr H

I like this one too - unlikely to see what I imagine would need to be a 44 in a sensible price range though...?