• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

YOUR ADVICE REGARDING A-1 PURCHASE

grommet

After seeing George's Lost Worlds A-1 (alas, too large for me) which recently sold on eBay, I started to think: "Why not me? I could look just like Cary Grant in one of those." ;) And so we lead ourselves down the delusional garden path to pauperism and disappointment!

Anyway, I looked at the Lost World's website and it sounds as though returns, if not satisfied, are almost encouraged, to wit: "If, say, you're a genuine 42, of regular build, try a 42R -- if you try a 44R, it probably would feel fine. BUT, you wouldn't know if a 42R felt better. Conversely, if the 42R feels tight and you love the jacket, you just swap it for a 44R. But you know the right size then." Sounds easy. The price is certainly competitive with the other high end makers, especially with the current 15% discount.

On the other hand, I have read some reviews on this forum and others suggesting that the proprietor is not always understanding or patient and, in addition, there have been some quality control problems in the past.

So my question is, would you buy from this company?

Vcruiser

Nope..not me. Especially since GW and ELC offer their A-1 in the proper capeskin that was issued and drapes like an A-1 should.
Van

DG567

Vcruiser said:
Nope..not me. Especially since GW and ELC offer their A-1 in the proper capeskin that was issued and drapes like an A-1 should.
Van

Exactly. There are much better options out there.

Marv

I was never really a big fan of the A1 but having tried on an ELC 46" reg at Duxford earlier this month I was greatly impressed.

It looked so much better on than I imagined, the capeskin was beautifully soft and draped extremely well so I can imagine how comfortable the A1 would feel after it has been broken in some what.

The fit is snug, more so that the A2 but it seems to be right for the jacket and that fact that the capeskin was so soft and pliable, it felt like wearing a cardigan not a jacket.

I have now added the ELC A1 to my "what jacket to purchase next" list so hopefully I may finally get one at some point in the near future.

From what other ELC A1 owners on the forum have said, I have to agree..it's great jacket.

Dr H

It depends on what you're looking to achieve, but for accuracy/quality/drape (closest in style), I wouldn't go for LW. They have a reputation for sturdy rather than accurate hides. For what it's worth, I'd consider only ELC, GW and SFA of the current crop of patterns, but choice of cape is key IMHO.
I'll get my anorak now ;)

Dr H

PLATON said:
was the ELC hide thin or thick?
Around 1 mm. Thicker than older GW Italian cape (0.7 mm), thinner than GW domestic cape (1.5-2 mm), slightly thicker than current cape offered by GW and SFA, but less grainy.

John Lever

Dr H said:
It depends on what you're looking to achieve, but for accuracy/quality/drape (closest in style), I wouldn't go for LW. They have a reputation for sturdy rather than accurate hides. For what it's worth, I'd consider only ELC, GW and SFA of the current crop of patterns, but choice of cape is key IMHO.
I'll get my anorak now ;)
SFA ???

Dr H

Mark - Superior Flight Apparel.
Similar pattern to GW (raw, triple stitched seams). Older hide (untreated sheepskin) looked great - as usual no longer available it seems :(

Tariacuri

Dr H said:
Mark - Superior Flight Apparel.
Similar pattern to GW (raw, triple stitched seams). Older hide (untreated sheepskin) looked great - as usual no longer available it seems :(

He might have some new cape - can't remember - as I often don't listen to him when he's talking to me (LOL). I think he said that some has just arrived.

Cheers

Dr H

That's the cape to which I refer (I have samples via Vickie at GW as they share a supplier).

johnwayne

Ian, as I've never got the hang of posting pics here, please feel free to post the pics I sent you of my jacket as made by Mark!
cheers
Wayne

Persimmon

johnwayne said:
Ian, as I've never got the hang of posting pics here, please feel free to post the pics I sent you of my jacket as made by Mark!
cheers
Wayne

Would be interested in seeing them please

Dr H

johnwayne said:
cheers
Wayne

Will do Wayne - wish that he could still get hold of that cape though...

Dr H

Persimmon said:
johnwayne said:
cheers
Wayne

Would be interested in seeing them please

Will do Alan - the pattern is very similar to John's in silhouette/detailing.
The cape is not a million miles away from the thicker cape that John was using in 2008 (albeit a little more homogeneous in colour).
The bad news is that regardless of the pattern, the cape is no more (and I have asked Mark to drop me a line should he ever find more)...

grommet

Thanks to you all for your input. One thing is clear, Capeskin is the concensus leather of choice. I am pretty sure this is what Cary's jacket was made out of after seeing some close up movie stills. When I finally get one, I will post a photo.