• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet more eBay lunacy

asiamiles

I just had an auction cancelled, minutes after listing it, and find that my ability to sell on eBay has been suspended for 7 days! Not so bad actually since it's holiday here 'til this time next week and my schedule is pretty full, but any other time I'd have been more than annoyed. The reason it was pulled was because it contained the words "cash" and "cheque" (obviously considered a bigger crime than selling illegal items, defrauding sellers etc.) which is sort of ironic since every other one of my 80+ listings have the exact same wording! It's odd that they don't bother to check a seller's other listings when they find a "problem" with one of them. I guess in future I'll remove these payment options though, since actually people only pay via Paypal anyway these days. I don't know how "policy violations" lead to suspension of selling privileges, as I seem to recall only one other item got pulled this month and that was for a different reason...speaking of which, when eBay decides you've listed something in the wrong category why don't they just move it to the one they consider more appropriate instead of pulling it?!

havocpaul

This short-period suspension policy seems too be more prevelant recently and like your case, for silly reasons to say the least. two of my friends have had similar issues. Had you just ticked the 'personal cheque' box or actually stated it in the listing? I wasn't aware it was now not acceptable to take payment other than Paypal, so long as the listing gives PP as the preference payment. I list through Turbolister which has the cheque box and other payment option and although 99% of buyers use PP, I do still get domestic customers sending cheques or postal orders.

John Lever

asiamiles said:
I just had an auction cancelled, minutes after listing it, and find that my ability to sell on eBay has been suspended for 7 days! Not so bad actually since it's holiday here 'til this time next week and my schedule is pretty full, but any other time I'd have been more than annoyed. The reason it was pulled was because it contained the words "cash" and "cheque" (obviously considered a bigger crime than selling illegal items, defrauding sellers etc.) which is sort of ironic since every other one of my 80+ listings have the exact same wording! It's odd that they don't bother to check a seller's other listings when they find a "problem" with one of them. I guess in future I'll remove these payment options though, since actually people only pay via Paypal anyway these days. I don't know how "policy violations" lead to suspension of selling privileges, as I seem to recall only one other item got pulled this month and that was for a different reason...speaking of which, when eBay decides you've listed something in the wrong category why don't they just move it to the one they consider more appropriate instead of pulling it?!
You could of course try to beat them at their own game by using alternative words or phrases for cash such as ' fragrant grease', lolly, dough, etc...

jacketimp

John Lever said:
asiamiles said:
You could of course try to beat them at their own game by using alternative words

try WONGA.........COIN.......BREAD......HONEYS........

or phrases for cash such as ' fragrant grease', lolly, dough, etc...

jacketimp

asiamiles said:

maybe some low-life reported you to ebay?

Hawkeye

does ebay keep the listing fees if they pull your auction? If so I'm sure they would pull an auction at the slightest provocation knowing that in all likelihood that you would list again, and they get their extra cut.

asiamiles

Hawkeye said:
does ebay keep the listing fees if they pull your auction? If so I'm sure they would pull an auction at the slightest provocation knowing that in all likelihood that you would list again, and they get their extra cut.

No, they refund your listing fee.