• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yet another misrepresented auction !

Silver Surfer

yup,replaced as observed. recently, i was asked to look at it for a friend that said he found it interesting. the jac looks like a dubow that has had work done to it some time ago. the knits used are of a type that i have seen before, and that i would date to the mid-late1950s. so, i reckon all of the work was done at the same time, 1950s. in all likelyhood, the seller thinks he has some rare variant rare a-2, which he does not. that he assembled some stuff to go with the jac does not bode well, though. its just another bs listing.

a2jacketpatches

Just took a minute to look but wouldn't waste another as he seems to be intentionally misrepresenting. Such a low feedback score with even one negative is a red flag IMO. Not to mention the recently sold well known fake patch as "70 plus years" old. Could spend all day chasing guys like this but I'd prefer to let it ride as a possible lesson learned for both parties. The buyer with more money than willingness to learn about what he's buying, or a seller who deals with the hassles of a dispute once a buyer figures out the deception. Call it a feeling, but an email to this guy will almost certainly be met with a defensive reply if a reply at all. On the other hand, I would always email if a brief research of his Ebay activity got me thinking it was an honest mistake.

Peter Graham

Roughwear said:
The seller is adamant the knits and zip have not been replaced! Check it out and please email him as he is either blind or deliberately misleading.
Honestly, why bother ? Life is too short. Ebay is full of this type of crap.

Roughwear

TankBuster said:
Ebay is full of this stuff the last couple of years!

It's always been there Jeff, but there does seem to be more if it lately. Potential buyers need to do their research before hitting the button on this or similar auctions.

a2jacketpatches

I know a guy back East that's been doing this kind of thing for decades, and he's got a buddy that does it as well. I remember him laughing about rubbing shoe polish to age recently camouflaged WW1 German Helmets on the way to a show. Also, after selling a near perfect example of that rare Blue Navy Deck Jacket back when I was a rookie to a very well established and respected dealer back East, two weeks later it grew a Squadron Patch and sold on Ebay for around 2500- So this rinky dink easy to spot crap is just a fraction of what's been going on for many years. I'd be willing to bet every collection out there has a put-together in it or at least some element of BS.

And you got it Andrew, imagine the competition we'd have if there really was an Ebay enforcement team legitimizing every piece out there. From my experience, collecting anything military these days is only doable because of Ameripickinpawnstarwatchin rookies pulling the trigger on junk. From flea markets to Ebay, I've heard countless stories about how "I got burned and don't know enough about military to deal with it anymore" More times than not a guy will just give up rather than learn his stuff and good-e-nuff for him as far as I'm concerned. I like to think of these bogus listings as a vulture deterrent.

TankBuster

Roughwear said:
TankBuster said:
Ebay is full of this stuff the last couple of years!

It's always been there Jeff, but there does seem to be more if it lately. Potential buyers need to do their research before hitting the button on this or similar auctions.

I'm sure it has been Andrew. Just more annoying these days I suppose.

Great advice.....potential buyers need to do their homework. Sadly, not as many do these days. Queue up the civilian "Type" B-10's and B-15's haha!

dmar836

Well, I did bother.

"These knits are obvious 1950s replacements. They are common, but incorrect. These jackets were all manufactured to spec down to the labels and materials even if different manufacturers(they didn't use just whatever they could get). In addition the lining is a replacement as is the "spring" loaded zipper. Both are also incorrect for this jacket. It is a real A-2 and I'm sure to the correct guy but your description is misleading. I'll assume you aren't trying to deceive and that you just don't know these things(Though that starting price...). If so, no foul, but please change your description to reflect what experienced collectors have advised.
Thanks in advance,
Dmar"

tibor

Having supplied similar insights, I received two messages:

"This forum is for asking questions not stating opinions. Thank you."
...followed by...
"Why don't you worry about you"

So looking forward to hearing the response you receive. :lol:

Roughwear

I will not post the responses I had from this seller. He simply will not accept that his description is misleading.