• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII M-1 helmets. Anyone know what to look for?

Andrew

Back in the 70's I swapped goodness knows what with a mate of mine for his Dad's M-1 he wore in Vietnam (presumably Aussie made). I've decided to try to track him down and return it to him. If successful I'd like to replace it with a US WW2 vintage version.

What's the going rate for an original un-messed with in reasonable condition and is there any good dealers?

ausreenactor

Did you want a restored 'original' or a well put together liner and shell? Top Pots' Nick Howard is in Australia. He can do some great art. He can restore a liner you would get cheaply from the US or start looking for a decent complete one. Fixed vs Swivel. D Bale. Rear seam, Front seam. Pick your maker. Lots of options. Were you after US Army or USMC? Airborne of Infantry? The world is your oyster...and the M1 your shell!

Couchy

Cobblers161

Make sure there is a seam on the outer edge, I'll post a photo in short while to illustrate. As far as I am aware it is the one pointer determining WW2 from later versions. Also fixed bales are nice.

Andrew

Thanks guys. I'm probably thinking as original as possible as it wouldn't be worn, but then having said that my boys have been playing with the Viet era one lately so maybe a rebuild is an all round safer cheaper option.

Wrt the details i'm a total novice so i'll just absorb opinions.

I like the look of this one. It had a bin before of about $250, way more than i'd like to pay though.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300651279839 ... 1423.l2649

ausreenactor

Andrew said:
Thanks guys. I'm probably thinking as original as possible as it wouldn't be worn, but then having said that my boys have been playing with the Viet era one lately so maybe a rebuild is an all round safer cheaper option.

Wrt the details i'm a total novice so i'll just absorb opinions.

I like the look of this one. It had a bin before of about $250, way more than i'd like to pay though.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300651279839 ... 1423.l2649

Shipping on that one might kill you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-M1-M-1-Hel ... 3370e63e02

See the similarities? They are 'restified' to look original.

RudyN

If you want an original WWII shell the seam should be in the front. A few late WWII helmets did have the seam on the back, but so did the post war ones.

watchmanjimg

RudyN said:
If you want an original WWII shell the seam should be in the front. A few late WWII helmets did have the seam on the back, but so did the post war ones.

More than a few WW2 helmets had a rear seam, but I generally agree with you. The safest bet for a representative WW2 helmet will have a front seam and OD3 chinstraps.