WW2 US Navy pea coat

Discussion in 'Cloth' started by Peter Graham, Jan 19, 2017.

1. PADDY_M

PADDY_M Active Member

Ian. Does your 38 fit as a 38 or does it run larger to allow for a jersey beneath it?

EmergencyIan likes this.
  2. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Active Member

PADDY_M wrote: "Ian. Does your 38 fit as a 38 or does it run larger to allow for a jersey beneath it?"

Mine fits snuggly, but not tight, if that makes sense. I have enough room underneath to wear a body hugging thermal shirt and trim fitting sweater/jumper. In saying that, this WWII era pea coat is more fitted than a later issue size 38 pea coat. Additionally, I am just at size 38 in a suit jacket or blazer...I'm not squeezing into that size jacket.

The pictures below were just taken, by my wife, for the heck of it a couple of years ago in Central Park, but they give you some idea of the coat's fit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Ian

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Steve27752, Smithy and PADDY_M like this.
  3. PADDY_M

PADDY_M Active Member

Great looking jacket. Think I'm probably a 40 then in that WWII cut.

EmergencyIan likes this.
  4. EmergencyIan

If I recall correctly, the WWII era pea coats measure just over two inches above their labeled chest size. It's been a few years since I've measured my coat or visited the measurements of mine and others, so don't hold me to that, though.

- Ian

5. Peter Graham

Peter Graham Well-Known Member

Paddy, I think a WW2 40 would be spot on for you. Very few have size tags so make sure the measurements are correct. I'm just back from a very chilly Berlin and the pea coat served me brilliantly.

6. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

That makes sense Peter, I can remember way back in the day being told by (IIRC BellyTank) on TFL about sizing up one size if you wanted to layer under a WWII era peacoat.

Good to hear the peacoat did it's job and hope you had fun in Berlin.

7. asiamiles

asiamiles Active Member

I also have a leather one, made in Japan by R.Newbold/Paul Smith, and it was the jacket I picked to wear for 3 weeks in Jan in London 2 or 3 years back, and it served me really well. Yes, really heavy to pick up but fine when worn. I did try on some issued ones once in a used clothing store but didn't think they really suited me.

8. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

Looks great all.............Yes, these are terrific jackets and I agree, I love the length. I have really moved towards wearing longer jackets that cover my rear. As I get older, I want more of me to stay warm!

Pea's look classy for sure! Enjoy!!!!!!!!

9. Peter Graham

Haven't been on the forum for a little while and I've just realised the implications of this Photobucket 3rd party hosting bar. This thread is probably the last thing I posted photos in and they're gone which means every photo I've posted on here over the years are also gone and I'm sure this applies to a lot of members. An awful lot of valuable information down the drain. That's bullshit !

10. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

You're dead right it's a bunch of arse with Photobucket now. I logged in to try and download some old photos I had on there which I don't have anywhere else and in the end signed out after getting sick and tired of being bombarded with enormous amounts of advertising.

There is one joy we can take from all this, those drongos over at PB have well and truly shot themselves in the foot. I give them 6 months, 12 months tops.

Skip and Peter Graham like this.
  11. Peter Graham

Pea coat.jpg I think I've sussed the media loader thing. Here's a pic of the pea coat back again.

Steve27752 and EmergencyIan like this.
  12. EmergencyIan