WW2 US Navy pea coat

Discussion in 'Cloth' started by Peter Graham, Jan 19, 2017.

1. PADDY_M

PADDY_M Active Member

Ian. Does your 38 fit as a 38 or does it run larger to allow for a jersey beneath it?

EmergencyIan likes this.
  2. PADDY_M wrote: "Ian. Does your 38 fit as a 38 or does it run larger to allow for a jersey beneath it?"

Mine fits snuggly, but not tight, if that makes sense. I have enough room underneath to wear a body hugging thermal shirt and trim fitting sweater/jumper. In saying that, this WWII era pea coat is more fitted than a later issue size 38 pea coat. Additionally, I am just at size 38 in a suit jacket or blazer...I'm not squeezing into that size jacket.

The pictures below were just taken, by my wife, for the heck of it a couple of years ago in Central Park, but they give you some idea of the coat's fit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Ian

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Smithy and PADDY_M like this.
  3. PADDY_M

PADDY_M Active Member

Great looking jacket. Think I'm probably a 40 then in that WWII cut.

EmergencyIan likes this.
  4. If I recall correctly, the WWII era pea coats measure just over two inches above their labeled chest size. It's been a few years since I've measured my coat or visited the measurements of mine and others, so don't hold me to that, though.

- Ian

5. Peter Graham

Peter Graham Well-Known Member

Paddy, I think a WW2 40 would be spot on for you. Very few have size tags so make sure the measurements are correct. I'm just back from a very chilly Berlin and the pea coat served me brilliantly.

6. Smithy

Smithy Active Member

That makes sense Peter, I can remember way back in the day being told by (IIRC BellyTank) on TFL about sizing up one size if you wanted to layer under a WWII era peacoat.

Good to hear the peacoat did it's job and hope you had fun in Berlin.

7. asiamiles

asiamiles Active Member

I also have a leather one, made in Japan by R.Newbold/Paul Smith, and it was the jacket I picked to wear for 3 weeks in Jan in London 2 or 3 years back, and it served me really well. Yes, really heavy to pick up but fine when worn. I did try on some issued ones once in a used clothing store but didn't think they really suited me.

8. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

Looks great all.............Yes, these are terrific jackets and I agree, I love the length. I have really moved towards wearing longer jackets that cover my rear. As I get older, I want more of me to stay warm!

Pea's look classy for sure! Enjoy!!!!!!!!