• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 US FLYING EQUIPMENT VS RAF EQUIPMENT

Smithy

In the late 1980's and early 1990's, I met a number of RNoAF pilots, and asked them about this sort of stuff, mostly while we looked through their pictures and mementos. I don't recall any being Spitfire pilots, but several were in Bomber Command, flew Sunderlands, or Mosquitos. None had A-2's, but several still had their Irvins and other associated RAF issue gear....though most just had pictures and their postwar service uniforms.

I also looked for flight gear back then, and found or was given some items. Back then, I had several Norwegian worn Canadian produced flight suits, two with the Canadian circle "C" broad arrow, and one very similar, but with a Canadian commercial label. One of the guys still had his original flight helmet from Little Norway on his bookshelf, which was Canadian, again with the circle "C" broad arrow. He also had a pair of American made googles, which were of the style that the US Navy used before the war.

Back then, there was not much of this type of material on display in Norway. My recollection was the Museum was basically a hanger with some planes, and then lots of airplane parts....what sticks in my mind are the pieces of a number of JU-52s that came out of a high mountain lake...which were neat because they were well preserved.

I am sure things have improved since then, and there is likely a lot of new material that has been donated as these pilots have gotten up in years. It would be really interesting to survey and catalog what is in the collection (and others) now, focusing in on some of these details. Someone could write an interesting book, because there was a lot going on...hopefully when that happens, it won't be in French : )

Doesn't exactly hit with the history here in Norwegian museums!

unclegrumpy

My reference is relative to 30 years ago. There was not much in WW II specific aviation related material, besides airplanes in the museum, and many of those were still wearing their postwar markings.

I keep hoping to go back and see what is there now, and as I mentioned before, I am sure there is a vast difference. One thing that I thought interesting at the time, was how few Norwegians cared about any of this. Most of the people that were interested in military history or collecting things related to it, were interested in German, German Foreign Volunteer units, or the NS (Norwegian Nazis), and frankly many of those people were weird or full blown neo nazis. There were people...mostly old rich guys...that collected antique guns, and truly old military items, but to them WW II was of little or no interest, largely because they lived it. Regular Norwegians were most interested in tossing out their parents stuff...especially anything old or military related...and moving into their folks apartments, painting everything white and purchasing two chairs and some bits at IKEA.

The Norwegian Archives has also released a number of great wartime photographs in the last 15 or 20 years, and I sometimes wonder if buried somewhere there is undiscovered information relating to Little Norway and the purchase/procurement/donation of the equipment and material they used. Maybe someone has already done that, but if so, the information probably has not made it out of Norway.

Getting back to the topic, these Norwegian pilots were really interesting guys, and many had full lives & careers, and great stories....stories at the time few people were asking them about. They also got around, ending up in a variety of places besides Norway. Two lived close to where I am now, and I have met a number over the years that settled in Western Canada...most because they "acquired" English, Canadian, or American wives along the way.

I fully realize that there is more to this than you can get from talking to veterans or trying to piece together from the artifacts they own or have left behind. This is one of the advantages of the passing of time, and being able to look at a greater variety of material all in one place...which you seem to have now available for your inspection.

The point of this conversation....at least for me...is to possibly point you in the direction of asking a few questions you might not have thought to ask, and maybe have you sharpen your eyes to look for something they have maybe overlooked in the past...like possibly a label or marking that may have gone unnoticed before.